What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine From Van's

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I noticed on Van's website that the experimental IO-360 (180 HP) is only $200 more than the carburated version and includes the FI sytem and engine driven fuel pump and has horizontal induction. What else would need to be purchased for a FI set up? I know I would need an electric fuel pump; anything else? What does the electric FI pump cost?

Thanks for the info.

$2,000.00 more for the fuel injection.figure $500-$700 for the electric boost pump, Add $2800 for Pmags and auto plugs - $800 for your "new other" mag system there are a few other considerations like exhaust system forward facing air box. What prop do you want CS or fixed?

By my reckoning it's $2000 more ($29200 for the 360M1B or $27200 for the 360a1a). They come with starters, mags, injection systems etc, but not prop governors or vacuum pumps. If you look through the FWF options you will get an idea of what else is needed.

You may get some credit if you delete magnetos, if you're going for P-mags or other EI.

There are other options for electric pumps (e.g. Andair) that simplify plumbing and the M1B doesn't need a return line.

The governor, exhaust system and boost pump are the most expensive items in the FWF kit and the Van's package is pretty good if you are going for a standard set-up.

Van's Sun & Fun bundled price shows $25,450 for the YO-360-A1A (vertical induction) and $25,650 for the YIO-360-M1B (horizontal induction). Standard equipment: Roller Tappet Valve Train, Sky Tech LW starter, 149 tooth ring gear, magnetos, engine driven fuel pump, carb or FI system, and vacumm pump and prop gov provisions.

I guess my question is beyond the $200 for the YIO engine I would need the $500-$700 electric fuel pump.

Also says the horizonatal induction can use the cowling without the snorkel.

$200 difference between the carb version and FI version seems low?

Van's Sun & Fun bundled price shows $25,450 for the YO-360-A1A (vertical induction) and $25,650 for the YIO-360-M1B (horizontal induction). Standard equipment: Roller Tappet Valve Train, Sky Tech LW starter, 149 tooth ring gear, magnetos, engine driven fuel pump, carb or FI system, and vacumm pump and prop gov provisions.

I guess my question is beyond the $200 for the YIO engine I would need the $500-$700 electric fuel pump.

Also says the horizonatal induction can use the cowling without the snorkel.

$200 difference between the carb version and FI version seems low?
It's a good deal,still you have to buy your prop through them,after all it's a bundle price. Not too many RVs being built with vacuum these days, A prop Governor for CS will add $1,300. I have a Sam James ram air kit for sale if you want it.

John,
To answer your question, I don't believe there will be much additional needed if you go FI.
The pump, maybe additional or different hoses, different cowl and filter snorkel.
The firewall forward kit will include most everything you will need so you can compare the contents of the two different kits.
Well worth the money and effort in my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys. Not ready for the engine yet but will soon need to order finish kit and need to decide what I will do. I will probably go with a fixed pitch prop so maybe Van's will start carrying the new GA prop so it can be bundled.

Thanks again.

When you get ready for an engine. Check out the new ECI Titan engines.
I used their engine so that I could get a few custom parts, FI, P-Mags, customer color and stainless valve covers. I just checked their new website and prices have come way down and you are not stuck with the Van's available props. I went Catto.

I have looked at the Titan and really like what I read. The price looks good but listed prices seem to be without ingition, starter, or fuel pump. I havn't done the price comparison yet but would like to compare apples to apples. I really would like P-Mags and a catto. FI is not required for me and their O-360 is quit a bit less than their IO-360.

Back