What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trumpet on carb/fi inlet

A thought has been bugging me for a while.
I've not seen any trumpets used on carb or fuel injection air inlets to improve air flow. This is standard fit on cars in some form or another.
The parts that come from Vans that mount to the carby have a square edge which is bad for air flow.
Has anyone worked on a solution in this area?

Thanks in advance

Most racers have something like this. I'm working on a design now that I'm going to CFD test before I make it. Although, I have direct ram air, a much simpler setup compared to the stock Vans filter in front of #2. I'll write something for my website about it when I'm done and I know it works. The Anequim project has some cool intake stuff to check out.

The center hole is a straight shot directly into the horizontal fuel servo, no filter.
015.JPG

Last edited:
Like this?

IMG_1987.JPG

I designed that up in Solidworks, machined it on a CNC. It bolts up to an RSA-5 and fits a K&N filter on the front.

Most aircraft engines have very poor port flow compared to anything automotive so a straight induction tube with equal cross sectional area to the runner probably flows way more than the port.

I see guys running 4 inch servos on 250-300hp engines- complete waste of time IMO. The last 1/3 throttle movement does nothing.

That being said, a bell shape on the end of a tube improves airflow about 18% over a straight tube so racers usually do this. It may not help in all cases to make more hp but it will never hurt. You can see a couple photos of a custom plenum design with bells here: http://www.mojaveflyin.com/search/label/Mike Patey

K&N can help

I see a smallish trumpet inside of my K&N conical filter as installed on my plane. P/N RC-9640

I am SURE it is enough to help me catch Tom in September...:D

Carry on!
Mark

I see a smallish trumpet inside of my K&N conical filter as installed on my plane. P/N RC-9640

I am SURE it is enough to help me catch Tom in September...:D

Carry on!
Mark

****! I better find something else then.. So that means your racing next year right? :)

Back