What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Door Handles

paul330

Well Known Member
Those of you who have the standard door handles, have you come up with a neat way to finish the push button? A nice milled aluminium plug would work but I'm also guessing some sort of plastic fitting could fit.

Shows you are getting close to finishing when you start worrying about things like this :D

I never saw mention of the black plastic plugs in the plans, but found them in bag 1547.
Mine were a very loose fit, needed glue to stick.

Thanks guys, I missed that somewhere along the line. I'll have a look - when I am back in UK....

Would actually finish a lot quicker if work didn't get in the way..... - but then I guess I wouldn't be able to afford it :eek:

And what is the feeling on the actual handles - paint or polish?

Last edited:
Mine are bare.
But I need to do something about the steel 'push to open' pin (the one the plastic plug goes into), as I have light rust on it.

Last time I used the aftermarket handles. Thisvtime stock handles, polished. I nickel plated the steel plunger to stop the rust and the plastic buttons are loose/cheesy. I might dress down an aluminum bolt if I can't find a better plug.

Door Handle push Button

Paul, I turned a couple of stainless steel buttons that fit over the open ended tube and used epoxy to glue them on. I might have drilled the hole in the handle a little bit larger (I forget). Not flying yet so, "your mileage may vary"
Rick

Paul, I turned a couple of stainless steel buttons that fit over the open ended tube and used epoxy to glue them on. I might have drilled the hole in the handle a little bit larger (I forget). Not flying yet so, "your mileage may vary"
Rick

I did something very similar to Rick. My intent is to polish the handles when it gets a little warmer.

My original Vans plugs fell out, but I found replacements at HD or Lowes that fit tightly.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Aaah.......

It appears that Bag 1547 is no more. I must have thought it was empty and binned it after fitting the door latch. Guess I'll have to turn something.

One more thing to do............

New door handle

Paul,
Before you get too deep in that. I designed and am having made, a new door handle for the outside of the 10 that is essentially a drop on replacement. Sleeker, better looking, more aerodynamic, has a button etc.... I should have the finished prototype by the end of the week. I plan on selling the first batch to whomever wants them just to cover costs, then eventually letting someone else carry them on their website....
:)

After reading the thread, it seems we are talking about 1) the buttons in the handles (and I am unaware of plastic covers for this, other than aftermarket) and 2) the pushbutton that extends to the outside of the door. I am using the flush external handles and following their practice of cutting the tube short, inserting a threaded button which is just inside the door skin, and accessing the button with a key made from 1/16" steel that fits through a 1/16" hole in the skin.

Definitely interested

Paul,
Before you get too deep in that. I designed and am having made, a new door handle for the outside of the 10 that is essentially a drop on replacement. Sleeker, better looking, more aerodynamic, has a button etc.... I should have the finished prototype by the end of the week. I plan on selling the first batch to whomever wants them just to cover costs, then eventually letting someone else carry them on their website....
:)

John,
I am keen to see what your design looks like. Let me know when ready/available.
Johan

Thanks for the offer John but I am not sure I really want to go to the expense (Bargain as it may be) and hassle just because I mislaid two little bits of plastic - especially as I am overseas with all the additional complications that involves.

I have worked out a simple way to finish off without a lathe using a couple of 1/8 aluminium discs riveted together.

But thanks once again for the thought.

Last edited:
Stock handle

Plus a little extra shaving and polishing.
The button is an AN bolt head of some sort where the shank was a perfect fit for the hole.

IMG_0110.JPG

New Handle

Here's the design I came up with. There's some nice flush handles out there but they A: Do not work with the Plane Around 3rd Latch (Which IMO is the best thing you can do to a 10), & B: require pretty big modification. I wanted to come up with something that was pretty much a drop on replacement, that also didn't add any friction to the system so Sean's 3rd latch would still work. Also, something that was sleeker and better looking.
These pics are an UNPOLISHED prototype. The final version will be fully polished and clear coated. The only modification is cutting the inner pin down. When it's in the part way open position, cut the inner pin flush with the outer pin and de-bur. The button gets epoxied in place, the bezel can be left loose or also epoxied to the door. I plan on pro-sealing it in place after paint.
I had to commit to having 10 sets made. A couple are accounted for, so I'm selling off the others for pretty much break even. Eventually I might offer them for sale on a website, but for now....
$175 shipped to US.

I'll also put an FS in the classifieds. I just wanted to get this on this thread.
Thanks
PM or Email me. I should have the finished ones within a week or so...

5x2vqr.jpg

5u1oi.jpg

2czoug8.jpg

slqlwz.jpg

2roonww.jpg

Back