What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Donations to VAF

DEWATSON

Well Known Member
Geez fellow RVers,

2.4% is not a very good ratio of users to donors. The RV crowd has always been a very generous bunch of which I'm very proud to be a part. Please take a moment today and send your $25.00 check to Delta Romeo, LLC, PO Box 270321, Flower Mound, TX, 75027-0321. You can't beat the price for what you get with the Vans Airforce site. There are so many comparisons I could make to show what a great deal you get for the donation. I ask again, if you use this site at least once a month, the information you receive is well worth the small donation of $25.00 per year. I know I sound like PBS, but Doug does a lot for us and the least we can do is make a timely, annual donation to him and the VAF site as a show of our appreciation. We would certainly miss the site if it disappeared. Thanks for your consideration!!!

My wife looks at deals like this.....

...and asks, "What is the return on investment?" In this case, she says, it's a no-brainer!

Nowhere else can we access so much valuable information so quickly and for so little.

Best,

Agreed! I haven't even started building yet and I've uncovered a wealth of information here.

New "Paid" User

I'm fairly new to this site (about two years now), and just recently sent in my $25 for the year. I choose to support the site because I think it's an incredible value, and (from a philosophical perspective) I think that Doug Reeves should be rewarded for his efforts in creating and maintaining the site.
It's easy for each of us to think, "Why should I pay, if I can get it for free?"... Well, think about this... "If we don't support the things that are WORTH paying for, then there won't BE anything worth paying for.."
Keep up the good work Doug!:D

Once upon a time...

I purchased a CD of a builder's website for around 25 bucks to help me with my 7A that I had recently started. It was a helpful CD and I felt I got "my money's worth out of it at the time.
Around the same time, Doug created this website which (I believe) was miagrated from a Yahoo forum. Since then, the wealth of information that this forum has grown to is astonishing to say the least. The knowledge here is far more and above than any single builder's site could offer...
AND WORTH A HECK OF ALOT MORE THAN $25.
If it were not for this website, I'm not so sure if I could have gotten as far as I have. My thanks to Doug and all the knowledgeable folks here on the VAF forum. And, many thanks to the builders who share their building experiences & ideas on their own websites for parasites like me to use. :eek: ...FOR FREE!
Give what you can...give more the next time.

I have been a slacker....now fixed

I just sent my $25. I have been an RV flyer for 12 years now, and am not building, but I visit everyday to see whats going on and whats new in the RV world. Doug does a great job with this site and its worth the money....Merry Christmas Doug...and the rest of you.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ RV4
Fredericton, N.B.

Geez fellow RVers,

2.4% is not a very good ratio of users to donors. The RV crowd has always been a very generous bunch of which I'm very proud to be a part. Please take a moment today and send your $25.00 check to Delta Romeo, LLC, PO Box 270321, Flower Mound, TX, 75027-0321. ....Thanks for your consideration!!!
It is worth noting that you can just do it much quicker and easier on PayPal. Click on "Donate yearly" top left and it willl take you there.

Old airline joke:

Do you know who invented copper wire? Two pilots fighting over a penny! :rolleyes:

Come on people, click on "Donate yearly" in the upper left of the page and send some money. I recommend adding an asterisk to you name by sending more than the requested $25. This is a complete win-win for everyone. A little payback for the information and inspiration received and a pay forward to keep the site alive and information flowing.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Another benefit

Just look at what happened last week with "runwayfinder.com". If it wasn't for Doug's website and this "Union" of pilots, a gem of a free flight planner would be gone. This site has more power than most people realize and is worth many times the donation.

I'm helping my brother-in-law build a Sonex Xenos. There is nothing comparable to VAF for the Sonex community. All they have is a Yahoo users group. Searching for something on that is more trouble than it is worth. There are questions I have that I'm just not going to get the info like I did with the RV. If I hadn't already built an RV it would be much more difficult. I really miss the capability I am used to with VAF. Considering how much money it takes to build an airplane, $25 is nothing.

Come on Guys.....it's time to be serious about donating to this site. If you're reading this, I'll venture to say that you are a frequent visiotr to the site. It takes our financial support and it is well worth the $25.00 that Doug asks us for. Please take a moment and donate. 2.4% is a shame. Most of us will throw away $25.00 in one week on things we don't need nor remember one month later. This site is very valuable to RVers...let's show our support and appreciation for a work well done. Thanks.....take a few minutes and get it done today.

I hate appeals for money as much as the next guy, and times are pretty tight for folks in my community. We still have something like 14% unemployment, and no real prospects for improvement, sadly.

However, even with business being slow and my flying funds a bit on the shy side, I managed to donate TWICE (must've been an oops moment -- I'm WAY too cheap to pay more than I have to!) :D And I might even make a Christmas donation, just because.

Long before Doug started VAF, I picked up building tips and advice on the late Phil Arter's "short list" of RV-8 builders. After his premature demise, the list was continued on Yahoo, as I recall, and continuity was maintained.

Matt Dralle (Matronics, Inc.) started a whole bunch of homebuilders' forums, including ones for RVs, and I gleaned a bunch of good info there (and contributed to his annual fund drives). [BTW, Matt built a beautiful RV-8 and would probably be here on VAF if he didn't have a competing website.]

Then I discovered VAF. Didn't see much need for it at first, since I had plenty of RV-8-specific info sources through the other forums/lists. But once I got involved here and saw how much info had been accumulated and was easily accessible, I was hooked. There is NO other RV site online where answers to your building/flying questions can be answered so thoroughly and expeditiously as right here. AND we have guys like Danny King and Paul Dye for sheer entertainment value. :D

So, if you're reading this, send VAF a paltry $25 NOW. And, if you've already donated, think about how often you hang out here and consider giving again. Shoot, I have more flying friends here on VAF than I do at my own airport!

After reading Avweb this morning and seeing the salaries of the executives at AOPA, I've decided that I am no longer going to spend the $40 for an AOPA membership and strongly encourage others to follow suit and donate here.

challenge to the unemployed

Come on guys, I have been unemployed for almost 2 years and the project has really slowed down because of it. ie: I need engine, prop and avionics, interior, paint,etc. I am still doing little projects when I can, but a few weeks ago I sent my money in for this site. Unemployed are exempt, but that, in my opinion, is only if it really hurts. The Lord has blessed me with food and a roof and so much more. Doug has a great site going here and I encourage you, employed or not, to help out!! Thanks, Doug, for all you do!

:)

Early this year Doug posted a note from Sensenich propeller that they had some reconditioned props for sale. They had exactly what I needed, it turned out to be a brand new prop that was a customer return that they could not sell as new. I purchased the prop at what now would be about a $700 discount. This was worth $25.00.
Thanks Doug.

Gregory Targonski

Second 2010 donation on the way!

This time of year judges I didn't vote for hit me up for donations from to help retire their campaign debt. I grudgingly pay those bribes - a necessary business expense.

I'm very fortunate to have some left, and I'm sending to my friend, Doug.

I have to chime in here as well....this site has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars, and I personally am kind of embarrassed to send only 50$ a year....however, I plan to do so for the next 50 years!!! (hopefully)

A nice feature Doug has added to the Donor list....its dated now. I don't have to remember when I last donated..its right there to remind me now.

Thanks Doug

Next year this time I'm gonna be flying off my 25 hours!

Quarterly

I send in $25 every quarter. I have subscriptions to Kit Planes and a regional paper thing.

I read this everyday multiple times a day.

I could not sleep if I was one of the 97.6%

Come on lurkers.... you must be the guys that put the .50cents in the paper machine and then take out multiple copies. :D

One of those Lurkers

OK,

I will confess my sins!! I am a Velocity guy. If I did not have a plastic plane (I am not bright enough to build, I purchased it..but had mods) I would have an RV.

You guys/galls, have THE best support group.

I am happy to donate!! Tim

Military Check!

Thanks for this site Doug. You're doing a great job.

For all of you military guys out there who have been to the AOR, I know Doug has a do not pay policy, but how about you join me and use $25 of that tax free status, hazard duty pay, family sep pay to support this great site during such a difficult time for our civilian friends? It would be a shame if he couldn't run it like he does today wouldn't it. Besides, you could always use 5 finger credit from your Snacko for the next year to cover the 25! ;)

$25 to the kitty!

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Sold my extra aileron... Here's $100 DR.

Just add it to my other donations. Hope others who visit can see their way to send some bucks to you when they sell their extra stuff. Like I said on another thread, its easier to do because its fresh money coming back to me. I don't count the money I already spent on stuff that turns out to be extra or unneeded. And, when I receive it via Paypal, I just keep it moving on to you. Hope thousands of others realize the value of this site and all the people who commit hours of their day to helping others with advice and pictures and critiques, and yes, even those spirited debates that flare up. Cmon people, dig deep and help out.

Just bought the extra aileron...seemed like a good time to donate too

Wendell:

Thanks for helping me out with the aileron, this is the first time I've bought anything I've seen here (and I've only been visiting the site for the past couple of months) and to have a resource like this is incredible. Thanks to Doug for such a place!

I use this site.......

A LOT! I gave DR $100 cash at 2009 Oshkosh, but he was having so much fun he probably doesn't remember. Sent another 50 tonight. Hey, it's Christmas, sorta like "It's a Wonderful Life". Merry Christmas Doug, keep up the great work.......

I tried again

Doug -- tried to make this donation about a month ago, but it didn't seem to go through. Probably operator error. I admit to my lurker status. I thought about it and figured that I'd been on this sight for THREE YEARS now. :eek: Therefore, you got my $78 and I'm declaring myself current. Thank you!

Whoops. Just looked over and saw my "born on" date. I missed it by a year. I owe you another $26.00. I'll go over and do that now.

Last edited:
I've contributed the last couple of years, but this year I'm actually building and I cannot imagine having the confidence to even start such a project without this site! There probably isn't a single thing I'll encounter in the build that hasn't already been addressed SOMEWHERE here. And, even if it hasn't been, I'm amazed at the responses that anyone can receive to a posted problem within a very short time from genuinely friendly and concerned people from all over the world!! Thanks, DR. God's blessings to you and yours.

Yet another reason why the site is a great resource.

schristo showed off his new camera mount filming the Dynon/696 combo during landing and a couple of VAFers noticed the SV runway on the Dynon only appears right on touchdown.

Cue the Dynon bloke saying "Strewth, we didn't even know about that, we'll get it fixed".

Being able to share and discuss ideas and problems with the likes of Dynon, AeroLED's and Garmin staff in the one place is more than worth the cost of a carton of beer in itself, yet alone the benefit we get from other builders who've "been there, done that".

Might have to make the $50 a quarterly thing when the QB kit arrives. The KRviatrix didn't even notice the last donation on the credit card statement.:D

dave watson

hey dave
will you make an extra donation and put it in my name
thanks bob willis

I'll do it....I've done it for a couple of others when I bought things from them. It helps this site and this site has been super valuable to me. Consider your donation made. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!!!!

I agree that not enough members are donating and will be writing a check in a few minutes.

I've held off because I'm in the category of people who "should not donate." I think that statement should be weakened to something like "we don't ask you to donate."

Back