What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compass in Panel

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
For the ultimate in redundancy in bad times, a compass is useful. Are there any that are suitable for mounting in the panel? I suppose it would be easy enough to put one on the glare shield (like my Arrow has), but would be way cooler in the panel....

I think the biggest challenge with a panel mounted compass is magnetic and induction interference from other equipment behind the panel. I have a compass in my current airplane (Bonanza) that swings a bit when equipment under it in the panel is turned on - and that is about 12-15" away.

The new Garmin G5 HSI with remote magnetometer (battery backup) would be a pretty reliable "compass" IMHO.

Some places work, some don't

I have had mine in two different locations in my panel and it has worked. When I was redesigning my panel a couple years ago, I used plaxiglass to trail fit everything, including the compass to make sure everything worked and fit properly. I used this compass and have heard that the cheaper Falcon model does not work well, but I've never used one of those. While trial fitting I did find that when I turn the key to start the plane the compass swings but comes right back to the correct setting and works correctly.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vertcard_compass3.php

+ 1 for PAI-700

I have had mine in two different locations in my panel and it has worked. When I was redesigning my panel a couple years ago, I used plaxiglass to trail fit everything, including the compass to make sure everything worked and fit properly. I used this compass and have heard that the cheaper Falcon model does not work well, but I've never used one of those. While trial fitting I did find that when I turn the key to start the plane the compass swings but comes right back to the correct setting and works correctly.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vertcard_compass3.php

We too have one on top of our clear shield and it works very well. Our compass card shows about 4 or 5* at the most for an off-set or correction.
These units are certified and I have seen them work in the panel as well, they fit a standard small hole for panel mount. We keep it up there just for peace of mind and if we wish to cross the ADIZ and a red coat wishes to check us over closely. Never has happened but we like to stay safe and out in front of the interpretation of the rules if we can.
Your call, hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I have one in my panel, but I'll be removing it soon as I'll need the space for a Garmin G5. To tell the truth, I only put it in to avoid any argument at airworthiness time. Never looked at it in flight and can't imagine any case where I'd need it. I have 2 GPSs, one in the panel and the another that drives an iPad mini with foreflight, plus my phone is a pretty handy navigator, 2 alternators and a battery for pretty reliable power to drive the built ins.

About the only thing my panel mount compass has done for me is drip baby oil on my leg when I get up to about 12,000'. (topped the unit off with baby oil on installation) That thing's gotta go!

I have an Airpath whiskey compass in my panel ... works fine as long as you obey the compass card. At some headings the apparent reading is off by as much as 10 or 11 degrees.

My RV-6 has been flying almost 20-years with a panel mount 'Airpath' compass.

My panel was designed so that there were no electrical wires or anything made of steel near the compass so that it would be accurate. Yes the Needle Ball is electric and the only thing near by but bench test before install only showed a 3 degree compass change. Unable to measure any change in the actual panel.

My outside the box compass mount

s1qc28.jpg

I had my vertical card compass mounted below the panel between my legs on my 6A. It was usually 15 degrees off. In getting ready for a long x-country, I removed the compass, mounted a VAL INS429 in the spot and ordered a magnetometer for my Garmin G5 backup EFIS. Well, the magnetometer didn't arrive in time for the trip, so, I bought a bracketron TripGrip suction cup phone mount from Best Buy and stuck the compass to the canopy with a cable tie to stabilize the arm against the glare shield. I'll take it down once the magnetometer arrives, but I am surprised how well the setup works. The compass never disagreed with the GPS magnetic heading by more than about 5 degrees, and the compass stayed firmly in place during the 20 hours of x-country.

I'll probably use the phone holder to hold my Samsung phone once I get rid of the compass. I think the cost of the holder was about $30.

John

Back