What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Avionics Shopping - Request for Sage Wisdom

Rob Erdos

Well Known Member
Good Morning RVators!

I am currently at the avionics shopping stage of my RV-6 project. I want to build an IFR panel, and have a lead on a used Comm/Nav/GPS unit. At issue is the fact that it's being sold by an individual in Texas. I'm in Canada. I would appreciate advice on how to reduce the risk of the transaction. I know, "caveat emptor", but I'm looking for specifics. Does an FAA 8130 Release to Service Form suffice to give confidence the unit is fully serviceable? Are there any other steps that I should take? What is the best way to pay such a transaction?

Oh, and in case this stimulates further sage wisdom, the unit is a Garmin 480. The GNS480/CNX80 seem to be very good "bang for buck" in a used Comm/Nav/GPS, having WAAS capability and very broad capabilities. I get the impression that the interface may not be as refined as the 430W/530W series, but the 480 can be found for several thousand dollars cheaper.

So, what is the smart way to shop for used avionics? Suggestions most appreciated.

Rob Erdos
RV-6...in progress
Ottawa, Canada

Be careful

I have a few suggestions. First contact the shop the filled out the yellow tag. They should have a record of it. Be upfront, let the seller know you are doing a little background work. If it bothers him that should also bother you.
2. See if the same shop will accept the radio as a go between for you and the seller. When they get the radio and it works fine you pay him for services and and send off the money. He ships the radio.
I did this with my efis system at the insistence of the seller! He was looking out for me as much as himself. When I bought my 430 it was fortunate the seller had a friend local to me. He shipped it there, I went and inspected it, gave his friend the money and accepted the radio. I would really try to set something up like this. Otherwise you are really exposed to lose a lot of money and still need a radio. In which case you would have been better off buying new.
The safest place to buy used outside of a well known dealer is here on VAF, but only from someone who's know here and from previous posts it's obvious he has built or is flying a plane.
Just one option.
Good luck and be careful!
Tim

I also suggest asking for a photo of the serial number. An avionics dealer can tell you if the item is on the stolen list.

I'm sure you already know this, but: While this is a fine piece of equipment I believe that it is no longer being supported by Garmin (who acquired it from Apollo/UPS). If certain parts go out you may be completely out of luck. This should factor into the price.

Are there any other steps that I should take.

When I bought my 430W on eBay, I found that fully 50% of the ones listed were scams so the first thing is to be very cautious. I was so gun shy that I only looked at ones that listed serial numbers and then I called Garmin to verify the history. Once, I called an avionics shop that had one listed and they said they had never heard of the unit. I ended getting one that Pacific Coast Avionics was selling and it checked out fine at my local avionics shop. For about 6 months I would go to ebay and report scam 430s to eBay and they would take them down in a few hours but the scammers never let up.

Last edited:
Discontinued but still supported for h/w

...I believe that it is no longer being supported by Garmin (who acquired it from Apollo/UPS). If certain parts go out you may be completely out of luck. This should factor into the price.

The 480 was discontinued Dec 2007. This means that Garmin is no longer manufacturing them. They are still supported, and for about the same flat fee as for the 430, they will be repaired by Garmin. I am told that there are sufficient parts to provide hardware support for the units for the next 10 years.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/GarminGNS480BecomesAnOrphan_196878-1.html

The 430 and 530 are also discontinued...
http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/fly-wire/bidding-farewell-garmin-gns-line

If anyone knows different, then please post here.

Full disclosure: I own a 480 for 1 year now, and have an ear to ear grin.

When I bought my 430W on eBay, I found that fully 50% of the ones listed were scams so the first thing is to be very cautious. I was so gun shy that I only looked at ones that listed serial numbers and then I called Garmin to verify the history. Once, I called an avionics shop that had one listed and they said they had never heard of. For about 6 months I would go to ebay and report scam 430s to eBay and they would take them down in a few hours but the scammers never let up.

WOW!! Now that's scary! But on reflection why am I not surprised...... Arrggg...

Rob - I recently purchased a GNS480 from a private individual in the US. It didn't have the most current software so he agreed to have a local avionics shop perform the software updates (both core and WAAS engine). While that was going on, I used the serial number and, using the handy-dandy phone number provided me by Alfio, I called Garmin and verified the history of the unit. It had never been back to the factory since new and had never been reported as stolen or destroyed. That was a nice confidence boost.

Following the software update the vendor sent me a video of the unit booting up as proof the software update was done. I also got to see it perform its self-tests etc. Given that he had done all of this, plus made sure I had as complete a set of documentation as possible, I had the impression he was a straight shooter. He provided me his HOME address and phone number, which I verified through a couple of different on-line directories, and also did a check on him with the local airport where his aircraft is based. All came up positive. After we agreed on a transaction methodology I sent him a bank draft and he responded with a shipping waybill.

While it's easy to get burned, it is also relatively easy to check up on private sellers if they're willing to play ball. If they're not willing to play ball, move on to find somebody who is concerned with ensuring your mutual interests are protected in the transaction.

since there are a lot of reputable VAF members in TX, I would suggest either donating to Doug or paying them a small reward for helping you acquire this item

Back