What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWF Kit for Lycoming Clone Engine

647jc

Well Known Member
I?m getting ready to order Vans FWF Kit for my RV9-A project. I don?t yet have an engine but plan to eventually go with a typical new experimental Lycoming clone, such as the Pen Yan Aero XE-320 (carbureted), Mattituck TMX 0-320 or an O-320 from Superior, whatever their engine model is and a Sensenich FP propeller. Anyway, I am assuming the FWF Kit FF-9AO320FP is the appropriate Kit but I don?t know if there are any special instructions I need to pass on to Vans regarding this type engine such as Kit component changes, deletions or additions. I contacted Vans and they had never actually seen one of these engines which surprised me, so they didn?t know what variations might exist. I would think quite a few builders are using the O-320 clones, is the standard Vans FWF kit a good fit for the engine? Any Kit componet changes required?

I had the same question because I'm planning to use an IO-320 from Aero Sport. Van's told me that all I have to do is order the FF-9A O-320 FP or CS depending on prop (I'm going CS). Then delete the VA-149 and add the VA-182PC kit (and the price of those parts is very insignificant). They say everything else should work out fine. The Precision injector (which Aero Sport uses for FI, I'm told) simply replaces the carb so the filter air box fits, per Van's.

I'm certainly hoping that is the case, because that's what I'm planning to order. I don't know much about FI yet, but I'm ready to learn more!

Lycoming clones and Van's FWF kits.

I installed the Penn Yan/ECI Titan O-320-D1A with carburetor and a constant speed prop. Everything from Van's fit just fine. If you get the fuel flow sensor for your engine monitor, you will need some extra hoses and AN fuel fittings. You may also want to add some extra heat sheilds on the exhaust pipes as I did. You can see where I added a heat shield on both pipes on page 68. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a068.htm

You can follow my progress during FWF installation beginning on this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a055.htm This stuff goes on for many pages after that, sprinkled in among wiring and other chores.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
172.7 hours on the Hobbs

Last edited:
This thread nearly answers my current Burning Question...

I'm installing an AFP FM-150 F/I system on a Mattituck TMX-IO-320 engine. Van sold me what we thought were the correct parts for the FWF kit, but I don't see how the throttle and mixture control bracket can work with these components.

What is the difference between Vans' VA-149 and VA-182PC brackets? Which one do I need? In order to use the VA-182 bracket that I have, I would need to either install a spacer between the bracket and the fuel controller or cut some edges off the VA-182 flanges. Currently the throttle lever mechanism hits the bracket when retarded to idle.

Curious...

Rob

Not all the same

Joe, Rob & Greg -

Welcome to the part of the build that sets each RV apart from the others. As I've learned over the past couple months, the build up to now yields all airframes pretty much the same, because that is what Van's sells, however, the engine and panel are 100% builder dependant (variations). Doubt there are two identical installations.

I bet the carb clones should be close to Lycoming and the FWF kit/instructions from Van's well proven. For my Mattituck IO-320 (vertical induction), the FWF kit/instructions are NOT plug/play. I had received guidance that you simply follow the FI instructions for component locations and carb instructions for all controls when using the vert induction. That isn't correct.

The vert induction bracket VA182 fits my installation but mixture cable routing is totally different than any (IO-320/IO-360/O-320) FWF plans. If i'd searched a bit more in advance, the reverse rotation on the FI mixture from precesion would have negated the need to modify the air box.

If your engine has the the 90? oil filter adapter, you'll need additional oil cooler line fittings and custom hoses. That will also require rerouting of the breather tube.

Guess what I'm saying is that you're at the point where there will be variations...and each "one-off" item impacts several other items in short order. Don't let it get you down and search this site to find the solutions used by others...I'm finding out they are here if you look.

Good luck!

Thanks Alan,

Your note was very encouraging. My experience is similar to your own. The airframe is fairly standard, but firewall forward it's every man for himself.

My specific problem is that the AFP FM-150 servo does not seem compatible with VA-182. When I put them together on the bench, the VA-182 hits the throttle linkage when it is retarded to idle.

Last night I found a potential solution online at Mike Bullock's excellent RV-7 builders log. [http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=6&dayid=665]. He shows what I think is a SilverHawk injector servo mounted to the oil sump with VA-182 in place. He was concerned about clearance from the Mixture lever, and was advised to use a thermal isolation spacer. The spacer is available from Superior Air Parts (and maybe elsewhere). I presumed from the photo that the spacer is about 1/4" thick, and would be sufficient to fix my problems...I think.

Opinions always welcome.

Rob
Ottawa
RV-6 FWF

Back