What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Pilot looking for direction...

jcadwell

I'm New Here
I'm the proud owner of a newly minted private pilot certificate, born from a Musketeer and a 172.

The RV4 looks like a fantastic choice for my wife and I, and I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare for a plane like that. I don't want to get in over my head, buying a hotrod that I am not capable of safely operating.

I'll need a tailwheel endorsement.

After that, what should I do? My regular rental options are limited to a 172 and a 182.

I'm interested in transition training, but I'll have to travel to get it. That means I can't engage in that regularly.

What can I do to adequately prepare myself operate an RV?

Thanks, John Cadwell

John....My advice (from an old guy with 35ys of flying). Of all the training I ever went through, the most valuable was the Instrument rating. Even if you never fly in IFR, the training will "fine-tune" your flying, make you much safer, and develope a higher discipline in the cockpit. Take your time, and be reluctant about "boldness"... Fly with your "head", and not with your hormones... IMHO

John,
To operate a RV4 you will need lightning reflexes, nerves of steel, superhuman strength, eyes of a eagle, stunningly handsome, $50 grand and a sense of humor.

Seriously, everyone has their own level of skill and judgement. You likely could handle a RV4 with some high performance and tailwheel training. I would like to see you do enough flying to be completely comfortable what you learned in and have a seasoned instructor honestly assess your skills and advise you.

I was letting a newly minted private pilot fly my RV6 I owned some years ago. He was kickin' it around pretty good, steep turns, high g lazy eights and he got disoriented and rolled inverted and lost it. I completed the roll and recovered but he just got in over his head. He was a personality type that probably should not be a pilot, a eternal optimist... faith can be a good thing if it is tempered with common sense.

Do some flying. Hitch a ride in a RV but be forewarned they are extremely addictive!!

steve

Last edited:
To Do or not to DO!

I would say there is a toss up in your situation between an Instrument rating(as another blogger wisely endorsed) or aerobatic training(unusual attitudes). This is generally part of a good instrument curriculum so my choice is go for the instrument rating. It was the funnest of all I have done and the most useful.

Congrats

Bruce

Go take a good tailwheel/aerobatic course. That will give you the basic skills you need to transition into a 4. Then get some dual in a 6 or 7 and then you will be able to transition into the 4. You might want to rethink the 4 if it for your wife and you to travel. It has the least baggage capacity and sensitive CG of the Van's line. But it is also the nicest flying of line. Don

Take it easy

You don't have to do everything the airplane can do, and you certainly don't have to do it right away. The RV is a good, honest airplane that doesn't have any odd quirks -- it's just fast and maneuverable. Just get some transition training and a tw endorsement and you'll be good.

Go with an RV!

I've got just over 950 hours (most of it in spam cans) and I've got a little over 80 hours in my -7A (first flight Sep 7 2008). If you're convinced you want a tail wheel then build it. If you're convinced that you're going to do most of your flying with the better half, then consider side-by-side. Some people will contest this, but it's more SOCIALBLE(sp?). The -4 is by far the most difficult to build with all the hole layouts (what I've read and been told). The -7 is match holed but there's plenty of opportunity to customize and it'll surprise you with the amount of parts that have to be fabricated, but it's virtually impossible to build a crooked or bent airplane. Also, the weight and balance is a no-brainer. My empty weight is just behind the forward limit. Adding people(you and passenger) and fuel and baggage move the CG aft through the envelope. It might not feel quite like a fighter jet but one thing is for sure: The RV (any RV!) will ruin you for any certified aircraft. And like countless people have told me, the RV is easier to land than a Cessna. I owned and flew one for ~850 hours and they are right on the money! BTW, welcome to the VAF!

"To operate a RV4 you will need lightning reflexes, nerves of steel, superhuman strength, eyes of a eagle, stunningly handsome, $50 grand and a sense of humor.":)

I showed this to my wife and she walked away shaking her head and said...well, you have the sense of humor.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ

I was just about to post a very similar question. I just joined the VAF forums today and am intent on learning as much as I can about the RV-4. I am in Iraq at the moment and basically saving the money to buy an RV-4 outright. But, I was a little hesitant in hopping into an RV while being a low-time pilot (~200 hrs). I have my HP and TW endorsements already and a TW RV-4 is the only plane on my list.
What cinched my decision for me to buy an RV was the sense of community and comeraderie that is so obvious here which is OVER and ABOVE that of pilots in general.
I should be back this summer and I'm hoping I should have a registration with my name on it by August!

So my questions are:
I will be tying down at Manassas or Warrenton Va. But hangars are hard to find and expensive.
--How hard will the elements be on an RV sitting outside waiting for a hangar to come available?
--Especially thinking about the cold blast that the east coast is getting now (not where I am, haha), will the weight of snow on the wings do any damage (until I can come out and sweep it off)?
--And IF I'll have to keep my new baby on the ramp until a hangar comes open, are there any airplane covers out there that cover the entire ship? Made for RV's?

All things being equal, I'd say question number one is my largest concern.
Again, thanks guys, I can't wait.

Rob

Last edited:
It's not as hard as some people make out.

I'm the proud owner of a newly minted private pilot certificate, born from a Musketeer and a 172.

The RV4 looks like a fantastic choice for my wife and I, and I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare for a plane like that. I don't want to get in over my head, buying a hotrod that I am not capable of safely operating.

Sensible thought. If you can fly a decathlon or a champ, you can probably fly a 4 just fine. I did my TW training in a champ (about 8 hours), then flew a Murphy rebel for about another 100 hours. I got a total of 7 hours RV TW training before I flew my 7. I never felt that I was over my head (and I am a very cautious pilot).

Get a ride in a 4. See if you like it. Follow along as the pilot lands it and see if you can get the feel. If you can, you'll probably be fine.

I'll need a tailwheel endorsement.
Yup. Since you are newly minted, it might take 10-25 hours to feel comfortable in a tail wheel (it might take less). My advice: Find an "old geezer" :) to train with. The gray haired guys have usually earned that head covering with experience. :) Many young CFI's don't have a lot of TW experience.

After that, what should I do? My regular rental options are limited to a 172 and a 182.

I feel for you. My initial training was in a warrior, then I transitioned straight into a Cessna 210. RV's are not harder to fly than either one, just "different". Much more responsive (fun). See if you can locate a flying club that has a champ, cub, citabria or decathlon. That would be your cheapest option.

I'm interested in transition training, but I'll have to travel to get it. That means I can't engage in that regularly.

And you really should not need to do it "regularly". You want to do it as close to flight time as you can. You want that experience "fresh" when you start in your RV.
There is a list of transition trainers here. Some will also do your TW endorsement, a kind of all-in-one deal. Mike McMains is the one I used.

What can I do to adequately prepare myself operate an RV?

Thanks, John Cadwell

In theory, exactly what you did to learn to fly a musketeer or a 172. Become intimate with the equipment. Get trained adequately. Enjoy! :D

So my questions are:
I will be tying down at Manassas or Warrenton Va. But hangars are hard to find and expensive.
--How hard will the elements be on an RV sitting outside waiting for a hangar to come available?
--Especially thinking about the cold blast that the east coast is getting now (not where I am, haha), will the weight of snow on the wings do any damage (until I can come out and sweep it off)?
--And IF I'll have to keep my new baby on the ramp until a hangar comes open, are there any airplane covers out there that cover the entire ship? Made for RV's?

All things being equal, I'd say question number one is my largest concern.
Again, thanks guys, I can't wait.

Rob

I do not recall seeing an RV that lived outside permanently, but I suppose that it can be done. There are covers for the entire airframe, and are made of a heavy material. Keep your eyes on classified section of the VAF.
My personal opinion would be that your plane would survive just fine with a good cover, and keeping the snow/ice removed from the upper surfaces. Also, fly it on a regular basis to keep the condensation out of the engine, interior of the airframe, avionics and instruments.
I am sure that some of our members from the east can chime in with better information.
Also, you might try putting up flyers at the local airports looking for hangar space. There might be someone who has enough space in their hangar to share with you. Also, investigate the local EAA chapters. I fyou are not currently a member of the EAA, you should join!
Good luck

Whatever you do, don't get a ride in an RV. Once you feel that non-Cessna take-off acceleration and then the great handling/visibility, etc., etc. you will be goal-directed to the RV and all other considerations will be secondary. The 4 is an easy tailwheel airplane so that part should be a non-event with a proper checkout.

I only have about 120 hours and I am finishing up our RV-7A. Should fly in a couple of months. I went with the 7A because my wife wants to to take pitch-hitter flying lessons. At least to the point of being able to safely get the plane back on the ground. The side by side nose dragger just seemed to be the best choice for us.

We are looking forward to a lot of fun get-a-ways so the 100 pound baggage limit was a factor also.

Back