What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust -- four into four?

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Has anyone done the 4 into 4 exhaust on a -4? and, if so, any issues on the install?

Thanks,

Ron

Dave Taylor

Hi Ron

My -4 has the Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust. Larry convinced me to go that way and I'm glad I took his advice.! Very easy to install, and efficient as well as sounds GREAT ! :D The only issue I came across was under the tight -4 cowl it was difficult to fit a carb heat muff. If your injected then no probs.

Cheers
Dave
VH-HOC
0320 wood prop
60+hrs
Donation due this year.

Do it !

I have the 4/4 Vetterman on my -4, and its a great system..a unique sound like no other. I have a home-built heat muff and carb heat muff..no issues at all. On another note..we visit Largo Fl. a couple times a year, but havent flown the -4 down yet. Send me a PM if youd like some detail pics of my 4/4 set-up. There are some on VAF from way back, but Im not sure where.

Thanks for the replies

I feel better about the "challenge" -- helping a fellow RV'r whose original system, 4 into 1, (many years old!) went south on him.

Lots of RV'rs at KCLW -- come on down and warm up!

Ron

Last edited:
Way back when...

Has anyone done the 4 into 4 exhaust on a -4? and, if so, any issues on the install?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron, I bought one of Larry's first 4 pipe systems for my RV4 when his business and the RV world was relatively new.
My performance was always excellent but more importantly that same system has 2500 hours, 25 years of use and NO cracks whatsoever...something to be said for quality....If the 4 into 4 is half as good you should love it...
V/R
Smokey

PS: what type system are you referring to? Vetterman or something else?

Last edited:
I have the 4/4 Vetterman system, 200hp injected, sounds outstanding and no problems at all. If you are doing a smoke system, get two injectors.

What does 4/4 mean ?

I just ordered a new 0360 system for RV4 from Clint. Larry V was very convincing that 4 pipes with 20 degree down turns was optimum. I had asked Clint if a 2 into one collector was available for my 0320 / -3 and he said combining pipes would reduce HP 15%. Larry also shared his experience regarding noise. He said a straight pipe pressure pulses interact with the fuse bottom and cause "drumming" due to pulse waves attaching to the fuse. Thus 20% down is preferred.

I also have the 4 pipe system. I always get compliments on how my airplane sounds. There is a whole lot of exhaust under my cowl. Very tight fit, but heater works great. Carb heat works great. Sound is great. Sound in cruise... perfect.

You won't be sorry.

20deg down

I was getting the drumming from the power pulses and the 20deg did the trick. Vetterman is the way to go!

I just ordered a new 0360 system for RV4 from Clint. Larry V was very convincing that 4 pipes with 20 degree down turns was optimum. I had asked Clint if a 2 into one collector was available for my 0320 / -3 and he said combining pipes would reduce HP 15%. Larry also shared his experience regarding noise. He said a straight pipe pressure pulses interact with the fuse bottom and cause "drumming" due to pulse waves attaching to the fuse. Thus 20% down is preferred.

We installed the 4/4 --- does sound good

Install went well since the owner has no heater muff or carb heat muff. A little adjustment was necessary because the owner failed to notify the vendor that a gascolator was on the lower left firewall.

Ron

Back