What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has Anyone installed a echoUAT

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Thinking about this low cost echoUAT from uAvionix! Anyone that installed and are using it? pros and cons?
Thanks Guys.

I installed both (easily) the uAvionix Echo UAT and their SkyFYX waas GPS and am happy with the operation of both. No failures and works great with my GRT Mini-X.
BTW, They are great folks to deal with.
Mike
RV4 N3329M

I have a RV-12 with Garmin 327 Transponder and a non-WAAS Garmin 296 GPS. The GPS antenna is mounted under the fiberglass engine cowling. I?m getting close to purchasing an echoUAT/SkyFYX system and have a couple of questions?

1) Uavionix now has two types of WAAS sources - SkyFYX or the SkyFYX-EXT. Which would be better choice if I mount under the cowling next to the existing GPS antenna for the Garmin 296?

2) Can the ADS-B WAAS antenna be mounted directly next to an existing GPS antenna without signal problems? This would make a clean installation.

So my question really is which WASS GPS would work best for my situation where I want to mount the WAAS right next to my existing GPS antenna for my panel mounted 296. I'm hoping someone with GPS antenna knowledge can shed some light.

Thanks in advance?

echoUAT.JPG

What about ForeFlight?

I have the Echo and get traffic from it on Foreflight. I don't know why it's not listed on their website.

Dan

Last edited:
Anyone else has experienced getting traffic on firelight from the EchoUAT?

I have the Echo and get traffic from it on Foreflight. I don't know why it's not listed on their website.

Dan

I emailed Echo about WX and Traffic on FF and here is there response...

We us le the standard GDL90, so yes our weather and traffic will display on their EFB as well as about all others, except Garmin Pilot. FF does not allow anyone to claim official support unless on their Connect program, which we are working on. It's a marketing thing for them. We do extensive testing with their app and I've got dozens of screenshots of such.

We're distributors for them.

My stepson works from my hangar as Watson Aero LLC and has just been appointed as a dealer for them and a couple of units are on the way...one of them is going in my -10. His contact info 706 550 8628.

Best,

Great!

I am glad to hear uAvionix is expanding their distribution of the EchoUAT because I believe this unit is good ADSB solution for many experimental planes. I base this opinion on my experience since I bought 2 units at Sun n Fun. I installed the first unit in our RV7a the week after Sun n Fun. The Tech support has been excellent. When I purchased the units they told me they had not tested with Avidyne 440/540 GPS and they had to make software upgrades to work properly. I found the software update process, which is described on the web page, to be easily done via wifi with a notebook computer. The configuration is updated via an APP from an iPad or Android. Once the link to Avidyne was okay, the ADSB performance reports have been passing. The second software update was to allow the traffic/weather serial data to be from either serial port. This allows the speed of data transfer to be 115.2k and not be tied to the speed of the adsb+. This serial data link is to my GRT EFIS.

I have made about 10 hours of test flying around N TX between our 2 RVs. Then last week we made the trip to NH, about 9 hours. We will be here another week before returning to TX.

The manual is pretty clear about the max cable length for the antenna. I chose to install the EchoUAT in our RV7a in the right gear weldment under the copilot right leg. On the RV10, I installed the unit in the back seat under the flap cover behind the pilot.

I have used Foreflight on an iPad the most but have also used Avare on Nexus 7 and Fly Q.

Why aren't folks forming a line to buy EchoUAT with all the problems associated with NAVWORX ADS-B FAA compliance? I'd like to buy this unit for my RV-12 but I'm a little gun shy following the NAVWORX thread...

Why aren't folks forming a line to buy EchoUAT with all the problems associated with NAVWORX ADS-B FAA compliance? I'd like to buy this unit for my RV-12 but I'm a little gun shy following the NAVWORX thread...

My answer is that it is still 2.5 years until it is required. The mandate may change, the hardware may become cheaper, or maybe something else will come about that changes the game. In the meantime, I'll have the money in my account and available for any need that arises.

So from what I read - I have a 430w so GPS Source good, a Garmin 327 transponder so compatible, GRT Hx also compatible, and a GDL-39 so iPad covered. So for $1000 (when back in stock) I should be good to go for 2020 with ADSB out at all altitudes / international?

If so I'll pull the trigger on this one now :)

So from what I read - I have a 430w so GPS Source good, a Garmin 327 transponder so compatible, GRT Hx also compatible, and a GDL-39 so iPad covered. So for $1000 (when back in stock) I should be good to go for 2020 with ADSB out at all altitudes / international?

If so I'll pull the trigger on this one now :)

Well, not quite. This is a UAT device (you need to keep your 327 transponder) so it satisfies the US requirements (only) and only below 18,000'.

But

You do not need the gdl 39 as the EchoUAT has adsb in and wifi.
You do need 430w software upgraded to get adsb+ out on a serial port. It does pickup transponder code and altitude from your G327.
And it is UAT so US only. And hookup one wire to GRT to get traffic and weather.

Last edited:
From what I read on UAT that is going to be fine for Canada and Mexico? I doubt I'd need flight levels much, and so long as I can get through Canada to Alaska this might be the way to go.

Hints

I put another 10 hours of flying on our EchoUAT with a flight from NH back to TX with headwinds the entire trip. The EchoUAT is working fine. The purpose of this post is to show how simple the install of this UAT is in an experimental plane.

This is the block diagram showing the few connections. Probably the hardest the the connection to the gps. I have an Approach Hub so the gps hookup was easy. The GPS I/O box is the hub.
5ac1562410d043a0c3a5d9cb52022729.jpg

This is the configuration app for this wiring diagram. Change the N number and hex code and change the adsb+ gps baud rate to whatever your gps is set at. If it is a G430w it is likely 9600.
f035bdcc7314779a312a1ba6bdefe972.jpg

f370b518d875f183187bb3f9643fe7b1.jpg

Last edited:
Mine just arrived (they are back in stock). Support was great taking the time to answer all my questions before I ordered. It seems perfect for my setup, and since it replaces my GDL39 (will sell that) it was a VERY cheap way to get compliant!

I'll take notes / photos on the install, so far looking very straight forward.

So is this still a top choice after Oshkosh? Any install pics? Any more comments about this unit?
Thanks

I just got mine up and running :) I have a GRT Hx, Garmin 430w, GTX 327 setup.

Install was easy, just slow for me as my first dive into the systems and wiring on this airplane.

Power from the radio switch with 1 amp inline fuse / ground to ground.

One wire to pin 54 on the 430w. One wire to the GTX327 (ended up not needing to be done due to my config). One wire into the GRT Hx.

Configure the ports on the GRT and 430w via the menus and turn on traffic / etc in the GRT.

For the antenna, I had just removed the GDL-39 and re-used its antenna already under the airplane so very easy there.

Powered up just fine. Connect your phone to the Wifi and use the app to configure, and now I have traffic / weather in the GRT and the same in Forflight on my tablet and phone :)

Last step is upgrade 430w to 5.0x to get ADSB+ enabled (cards on the way) but ADSB in is working full time now.

I'd recommend it, much less than I was expecting to spend!

Last edited:
I just received my Echo.. I will be installing it in the next couple of days! Has anyone installed with the 430 (not W) and the GTX327? If you have could you share the settings? Thanks

I just received my Echo.. I will be installing it in the next couple of days! Has anyone installed with the 430 (not W) and the GTX327? If you have could you share the settings? Thanks

I'm pretty sure installing the Echo with a non-WAAS 430 is not a legal set up.

I did get their waas gps antenna Skyfy, that will make the comply! Why wouldn't it ?

I did get their waas gps antenna Skyfy, that will make the comply! Why wouldn't it ?

Yes, that's okay. But you asked specifically about a 430. Or did you mean displaying adsb-in data on the 430 screen, not using the 430 for adsb-out position? If so, I think that's not so easy, as Garmin software is not open sourced.

I just completed the 430w upgrade to 5.30 so I have ADSB+. Did a "test" flight following the recommended maneuvers, then picked up a clearance and shot a few approaches too, all inside the Mode C veil for SeaTac.

On the website to get the report, Uavionix and the EchoUAT are not listed as an option? How are people getting their reports for these? Or since they don't get the rebate you can't get a report?

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

I see nothing in flight aware either, including my pop up into TIW. A friend of mine shows up every flight with ADSB, so not sure what to think?

I just got mine installed but still 3 months way for a startup. But soon I should be able to start configuring it.

Maybe something is off on your configuration that's why it's not getting seeing on FlightAware etc.....

I just completed the 430w upgrade to 5.30 so I have ADSB+. Did a "test" flight following the recommended maneuvers, then picked up a clearance and shot a few approaches too, all inside the Mode C veil for SeaTac.

On the website to get the report, Uavionix and the EchoUAT are not listed as an option? How are people getting their reports for these? Or since they don't get the rebate you can't get a report?

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

I see nothing in flight aware either, including my pop up into TIW. A friend of mine shows up every flight with ADSB, so not sure what to think?

I'm not sure, but I think you can just tell it you have TSO'd equipment (pick anything UAT) and then get a report. Of course you cannot ask for a rebate. Since you're not asking for a rebate you don't have to follow the requested maneuvers. 10 minutes should be enough.
Do you have a friend with adsb-in? He could just sit on the ground while you fly over, and look for you.
Double check that you configured the gps rs232 port 4 for ADSB+ (adsb with no + is also an option, but not the right one.)
You used a high density pin in position 54, not a standard one, right?

Hi Martin.
I had the same question and asked on the public performance report site. They advised to "pick one of the choices on the list that was close to my set-up, then list my actual equipment at the bottom of the page in the comments section. I chose the NavWorx exp since it was specifically for experimental. My check flight went through just fine.
Jim

I just got mine installed but still 3 months way for a startup. But soon I should be able to start configuring it.

Maybe something is off on your configuration that's why it's not getting seeing on FlightAware etc.....

Solved most of FlightAware, it apparently hides "Position Only" flights by default now. Unselecting that made me (N1080J) show up. I noticed it only gets about 1/3 of my flight though, so still working on that :)

Double check that you configured the gps rs232 port 4 for ADSB+ (adsb with no + is also an option, but not the right one.)
You used a high density pin in position 54, not a standard one, right?

All settings and install look good. I pulled out my Stratus 2 and I did see "myself" with N number. I think it is mostly working now (and I've found most of my flights in FlightAware). AGL wise I wasn't terribly high, part of the flight until near the hills, I'm thinking that is making me harder to track.

Hi Martin.
I had the same question and asked on the public performance report site. They advised to "pick one of the choices on the list that was close to my set-up, then list my actual equipment at the bottom of the page in the comments section. I chose the NavWorx exp since it was specifically for experimental. My check flight went through just fine.
Jim

Thanks! I just submitted the way you did. We'll see what comes back :)

*EDIT*

That was fast, reports back for yesterdays flight and today. No red anywhere in them, so I read those as a pass! Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
I've got something of an oddball question re the 660. I plan to install the
echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT Bundle which gives me in/out at a reasonable price. I've had experience with their GPS equipment and it's impeccable. Made in Switzerland I think.

Anyway, I can't see the numbers I put into my transponder. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. It would be great if the ADS-B in/out software displayed the TX numbers on the 660 via wireless or BT.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mike

I installed both (easily) the uAvionix Echo UAT and their SkyFYX waas GPS and am happy with the operation of both. No failures and works great with my GRT Mini-X.
BTW, They are great folks to deal with.
Mike
RV4 N3329M

Mike, where did you end up putting the EchoUAT antenna on your -4?

Back