What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D printing

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Was wondering what wonderful and useful things have been designed for 3D printing that is useful in RV's or the building process.
I searched for 3D in various forms on this forum but nothing came up. So my apologies if I messed up the search!
Thanks.
Johan

I was just wondering the same thing and the Search came up with this thread. This month and last in Sport Aviation there are articles describing 3D printing of fairings and such.

My wife has been teaching Engineering classes at the local High School and they have a couple of nice 3D printers. We have had one at our house over the summer and have played around with it a little bit. I'd like to try some aviation related objects to print, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Maybe some sort of defroster venting on the top of the panel might be something to try. Other easy items might be something like the little flap shaped handle for switches, knobs, grips, trim wedge, a junk tray that would fit between seats, etc. How about a miniature RV model?

Anyone have any other ideas? MakerPlane.org mentions some 3D printer file downloads, but it seems to be offline.

My panel has several printed brackets and miscellaneous hardware that you can't see from the front. Most is polycarbonate and some is ABS. I've also printed several prototype vent designs.... none that I am happy with yet.

I 3D printed a "filler" for a hole left by a removed instrument. The cover incorporated a power, antenna, and audio jacks to let me interface my handheld radio as a backup for emergencies.

I'm about to print a trim tab after my balsa version departed the aircraft recently!

Maybe some sort of defroster venting on the top of the panel might be something to try.

I have two defrost (computer) fans installed in glare shield. My son in law designed and I printed two diffusers for those fans. Looks great, fits well, not working yet.
It is .STL file.
Johan

I had thought about using 3D printing for a stick grip. I'm still playing with my 3D printer setup.

Bob

Back