What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Designated FAA Examiner sought for IFR checkride

daddyman

Well Known Member
Looking...
After years of stutter-starts and stops, and plenty of training, I decided to get my IFR ticket.
I'm now ready for the check ride and my local designated examiner informed me I cannot use my RV-4 for the test.

That is a major setback.

Does anyone know of a Designated examiner that would be willing to test me in an RV-4?

Thanks,
Daddyman

Do you mean that he declined, as is his right, to fly in an EAB? Or did he mean that your airplane was not sufficiently equipped for the checkride?

At least you have an examiner. Here in the SFO bay area, they are all booked thru the summer. Too few examiners, plus confusion over the new primary checkride standards (ACS vs PTS).

I suspect that you'll have difficulties finding any examiner that will fly in the tandem RVs. They are going to want full instrumentation and controls. Most RV-4s that I've seen only have a stick, if that.

You may want to go find a DA-20 to rent that has a similar panel as yours. I've found the stick to work relatively responsive as my RV-10, it just flies quite a bit slower.

Call John....

JohnDPEcard.jpg

The guy who did my IFR checkride in my RV-6: http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/myIFRCheckride/my_ifr_checkride.htm

He lives in Iowa (not THAT far from VA)

v/r,
dr

YEs he did have the right to refuse

Do you mean that he declined, as is his right, to fly in an EAB? Or did he mean that your airplane was not sufficiently equipped for the checkride?

At least you have an examiner. Here in the SFO bay area, they are all booked thru the summer. Too few examiners, plus confusion over the new primary checkride standards (ACS vs PTS).

My plane has passed an IFR pitot, static, encoder and altimeter.
It does have IRF flight instrumentation.

Daddyman

thanks for the tip

I suspect that you'll have difficulties finding any examiner that will fly in the tandem RVs. They are going to want full instrumentation and controls. Most RV-4s that I've seen only have a stick, if that.

You may want to go find a DA-20 to rent that has a similar panel as yours. I've found the stick to work relatively responsive as my RV-10, it just flies quite a bit slower.

Thanks for your suggestion.
One of my hanger buddies, just rented one to complete his check although he owns a beautiful RV-8.

Daddyman

Could it be that the DPE doesn't want to do it because it's tandem seating? I can imagine the DPE having a hard time seeing the instruments from the backseat to determine how well you're flying the needles.

I wouldn't expect any examiner or cfi to allow the person in the front seat to be "under the hood" while they were sitting in the back seat.

Hi David, This might or might not help. Its all kinda run together, but "Carl" is answering "me", starting with "I've seen IFR---"

Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
OK, respectfully to the RV community, (not to be a wise guy), I've got just the reverse problem. I've got thousands of hard IFR hours, but its been 13 years since I did any of it. And then I've got an 8 vs a side by side. If I can get my financial act together, I want to put a GRT EFIS cockpit in my plane. Short of getting a very tall CFI in the back seat, and pulling out my "booster" pillows (I'm very short waisted), and sitting as low as I can in the front seat, I can't see any alternative to renting a spam can.
I've seen IFR bi-annuals done in an RV-8 - the CFII in the back had an iPad with wifi to the Dynon system. Of note the CFII was an RV-8 builder and owner. So - go find one near you.

Carl

And one more from Carl,

Quote:
I did not know that Carl. Would that trick also work with a GRT setup? Or just Dynon?
Don't know - but GTR advertizes an Android app that lets the rear seat guy get a repeat of the GTR display on a tablet via Bluetooth. That should do the trick.

Carl

Blue tooth to back seat

Hi David, This might or might not help. Its all kinda run together, but "Carl" is answering "me", starting with "I've seen IFR---"

OK, respectfully to the RV community, (not to be a wise guy), I've got just the reverse problem. I've got thousands of hard IFR hours, but its been 13 years since I did any of it. And then I've got an 8 vs a side by side. If I can get my financial act together, I want to put a GRT EFIS cockpit in my plane. Short of getting a very tall CFI in the back seat, and pulling out my "booster" pillows (I'm very short waisted), and sitting as low as I can in the front seat, I can't see any alternative to renting a spam can.
I've seen IFR bi-annuals done in an RV-8 - the CFII in the back had an iPad with wifi to the Dynon system. Of note the CFII was an RV-8 builder and owner. So - go find one near you.

Carl

And one more from Carl,

Quote:
I did not know that Carl. Would that trick also work with a GRT setup? Or just Dynon?
Don't know - but GTR advertizes an Android app that lets the rear seat guy get a repeat of the GTR display on a tablet via Bluetooth. That should do the trick.

Carl

Carl,
Yes, I have an iPad in the back which displays via bluetooth what I'm seeing up front.
I also have digital displays in the back.
Thanks always for your insight.
Daddyman

Back