What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kids and airplanes - Safety Presentation

N941WR

Legacy Member
I live on a small airpark that is probably 2/3rds airplane people with hangars and 1/3 people who know nothing about airplanes.

Last night we had three or so inches of snow (a lot for South Carolina) and this afternoon I walked the runway and found a bunch of the kids had built a rather sizable snow fort in the middle of the runway.

It dawned on me that we (our airpark residents) need to put on a safety class for the kids (and non-pilots) of our little community.

Do any of you who live in an airpark community have such a presentation I can plagiarize? (Some of us have talked about mixing the airport safety talk with young eagles and grey eagles rides.)

Thanks for the help!

PS. Regarding the snow fort, I asked the kids to smash it, when they were done playing, which they were more than happy to do, so it wouldn't take a week (or more) for their giant snow boulders to melt.

Been there done that

Bill,
When I lived in Marchmont Plantation Airpark, I had similar events, including 4 wheelers cutting across, leftover fireworks debris, and people just taking a walk on the runway. Besides the normal briefings at the association meetings, I also spent time with the PARENTS and kids to show them and tell them the impact of runway incursions, and what safety for both pilots and people on the ground is jeopardized by playing on the runway. I could go on and on, but a full on briefing with the community to educate and have them understand aviation basics is a must..before something bad happens. We had 2 Lake amphibians land at 8A7 today..snow and all, so it could have happened at your place!

Back