What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Autopilot setup

awmuhs

Well Known Member
I am having trouble setting up the pitch portion of the Dynon autopilot. Roll works great. It turns to a heading smoothly. Intercepts a localizer without hunting.

I can select an altitude to climb or descend to without a problem.

What it won't do is intercept the glide slope without large overshoots. It seems to wait to long after initial intercept to start down and then has to dive to to catch up. After that it hunts and as it gets close to DH will repeatedly pitch up and down quickly until I disconnected it. I am using a GTN650 for the approach

Any ideas/suggestions? Can someone send me their pitch settings?

Thanks

Later in the month when I get home I can give you our setup which works really well.

Send me your email address.

The Dynon website has a detailed inflight tuning procedure for the AP settings. Download that, print. Also the version 11 AP software just out is supposed to be an improvement in some of the AP response, particularly with the trim warnings.

Dynon AP setup

Before my first post I went through the Dynon AP setup but was still having trouble, I have since done some further flying/adjusting and have it working pretty well.

I tweaked the AP setup and made some adjustments to my power settings and approach speed.

autopilot behavior on glide slope

I have had a similar experience, and then I found out that the settings which the inflight tuning guide tells you not to mess with are critical for the glide slope behavior. I adjusted altitude gain, pull rate, VSI gain, and G error gain and I get great behavior on the glide slope now. I need to learn which controls what because right now I am just following a post which showed some settings that worked for some other RV-10s.

Back