What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 Questions

BMC_Dave

Well Known Member
Reading through how I'll hook up a G5 to my GNS430W. Just wanted to run through what I've found so far and make sure I'm understanding correctly. I'm using two HDX displays as the primary driver for the 430W via an SV-429, the G5 will be my SHTF backup AI.

I'm thinking I'll just us the RS-232 input on the G5 to take one of the RS-232 WAAS outputs on the 430W. This will only provide WAAS GPS location in lieu of the internal antenna on the G5. Seems the simplest setup with the exception below.

IF I wanted further connectivity, like to drive a CDI on the G5, or drive OBS on the 430W, I'd need to use a GAD 29 if I understand right. My HDX(s) will be doing that via the SV-429, but I don't believe I can have both the HDX(s) AND the G5 driving the 430W. Or can I?

The dead simplest G5 install seems to be just plopping it in with no external inputs at all. The G5 install manual says you can omit hooking up the pitot/static lines but that this will disable autopilot functionality (and presumably any other air data, ASI, ALT...). Considering I'd like to set the BARO on only one device (HDX) this is somewhat appealing, but I don't think I'd want to give up the redundant functionality just for that.

Am I missing anything by just using the RS-232 and 430W as an external WAAS source? Considering my setup, is there a better way to hook up the G5? Thanks.

If the G5 and HDX use the same baud rate and protocol, you can just split the signal out of your existing ARINC-429.

If the G5 and HDX use the same baud rate and protocol, you can just split the signal out of your existing ARINC-429.

The SV-429 doesn't look like it has any RS-232 OUT, but you can split the RS-232 out of the 430W to multiple devices. I think the SV-429 needs "Aviation" data while the XPNDR takes "ADS-B+". Which is why they want me to run a seperate RS-232 line from the 430W to the XPNDR even though the HDX system is supplied WAAS GPS through the SV-429.

The Skyview ARINC module has an RS232 input from the 430W set to aviation output on the 430W. The G5 can use that protocol, but is much better if you run a separate serial port and set it up as MapMX on the 430W and the G5. The baud rate will be set automatically. You can just run a single wire and single pin from the serial output on the 430W to the serial I out on the G5. It?s better to use shielded wire and use the serial ground, but I?ve never had a problem just running a single unshielded wire.

The Skyview ARINC module has an RS232 input from the 430W set to aviation output on the 430W. The G5 can use that protocol, but is much better if you run a separate serial port and set it up as MapMX on the 430W and the G5. The baud rate will be set automatically. You can just run a single wire and single pin from the serial output on the 430W to the serial I out on the G5. It?s better to use shielded wire and use the serial ground, but I?ve never had a problem just running a single unshielded wire.

Ah, I see MapMX is preferred, thanks. Yeah I should have just enough outputs on the 430W to meet all my needs, G5, ELT, XPNDR, ARINC 429. I thought I read you could configure additional ports on the 430W but I can't seem to find it now, moot point if you can split signals.

Most elt?s will use aviation data at 9600baud, so the ARINC 429 Module serial port can share the signal with the let, just send the same signal to both places. The transponder needs the ADSB+ format on its own port. The G5 needs MapMX on its own port. The 4302 has 4 or 5 ports, so the 3 you need leaves open ports for future expansion.

If you?re using the Dynon transponder, make sure to use the 1.21K Ohm resistor that comes with the transponder in line with the wire from the 430 to the transponder. Just cut the wire and splice in the resistor.

Oh yeah, I'll just do that. Alternatively it looks like you can output NMEA format GPS from Skyview displays to ELTs. Hardwired 430W->ELT seems like the best option though, since I'll have the space.

Back