What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin virb 360

sdflier

QUestion: Does the Garmin VIRB 360 need hardware cables to display video on Garmin 3X touch or the Garmin 796?
Thanks in advance.

QUestion: Does the Garmin VIRB 360 need hardware cables to display video on Garmin 3X touch or the Garmin 796?
Thanks in advance.

Hello Craig,

Sorry, but neither of these products will interface to a video stream from a Virb 360.

The G3X Touch displays will accept video from any of the other Virb models including the original Virb, Virb XE, and Virb Ultra 30.

Thanks,
Steve

Does this Garmin VIRB 30 stream to G3X touch and 796 wirelessly?

Hello Craig,

No wireless video capability in either. All of the GDU 450/455/460/465/470 displays come standard with a BNC connector on the back that will accept wired video from the Virb Ultra 30.

Thanks,
Steve

VIRB 360

I use the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 to take inflight video and am able to use a patch cord from Pilot Communications to plug into the aircraft audio and power from a portable usb battery simultaneously. The USB power probably isn't really needed because the VIRB Ultra 30 has a great battery compard to the Go Pro. I could rarely get the Go Pro battery to last an entire flight. The VIRB Ultra 30 easily lasts an entire flight while recording cockpit audio as well as video.

I was all set to plunk down the money for a VIRB 360 only to find out there is no external audio capability like the Ultra 30 to connect to an external microphone and record cockpit audio? Huh? Going backwards it seems.

Why doesn't the VIRB 360 have this capability? I submitted a design request to the engineering team about this but not sure if it is deep in the bowels of a computer somewhere. So what gives Garmin? This is a fairly decent sized market with all the guys doing video in airplanes now. I use two cameras to be able to film left/right but a VIRB 360 would eliminate the second camera.

Ready to buy but........ What say you Garmin?

I use the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 to take inflight video and am able to use a patch cord from Pilot Communications to plug into the aircraft audio and power from a portable usb battery simultaneously.

@olyolson I've been hunting for a cable that will provide usb power and audio, where did you get yours?

Audio cable

Bill,

Contact Pilot Communications USA and talk to a guy named Par Akradi. You can e-mail him directly at [email protected]. You can also visit his website below for more info.

http://www.pilot-usa.com

He can custom make a cable to any length. My Anker USB battery is not in the same spot that the headset jack is so he made a cable with different lengths for the battery connection and the audio connection. You can also have him include a headset jack built into the cable so you can still use the headset for the other seat. Or you can eliminate the headset 'Y' and just have a straight cable.

Be sure to tell him exactly which model camera you have. He has all the wiring diagrams and pinouts of the various Go Pro & VIRB cameras. Hopefully you have Garmin cameras because I have not had good luck trying to use the Go Pros for aviation stuff. They are just too unstable when you try to patch audio and USB power to keep the battery charged because their batteries are worthless.

As far as portable USB battery goes, not all of them work right. Some of them cause some terrible electronic feedback on the video when you view the playback. The only ones I have found that work right are the Anker USB batteries. They are readily available on Amazon for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread: Does anyone know if Par Akradi is still providing such cables? I tried to contact him about making a custom VIRB cable with no response.

Does Garmin publish sufficient information about their USB interface that would allow anyone to construct a custom cable?

Garmin Virb Cables

Ryan,

As far as I know he is still doing the cables. It does take some time to get responses from him. I think the best way is to go to the Pilot Communications website and send an e-mail.

Back