What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric variable pitch prop?

deej

Well Known Member
I have a solid crank Lyc O-320, so I can't use a hydraulic prop. I've been looking around for electric variable pitch props, but at $14k the MT is just ridiculously expensive.

I've found GT propellers.

Are there any other companies that make an electric variable pitch prop for a Lycoming O-320?

Thanks,

-Dj

Last edited:
Check with Brian Kelly of Radial RV-8 fame. He is running one of their props. Here is the link.

The other option is to find an Aeromatic propeller that will work with your O-320.

I flew behind one on a Fairchild 24W and it was a pretty cool prop! The pitch changed automatically based on air loads. Of course, the F24W is a LOT slower than your RV.

Last edited:
Airmaster

Has been developing a Lycoming version for a while now. They're holding close, may have some news at SnF.

Fixed pitch that can change by it's self.

I think you would be looking for a fully adjustable prop, but. You may want to look at one like a Prince "P" tip. We run one on our 8 and it does as it was said, change about 4" of pitch from full low speed coned load "like take-off" to that of cruse up at speed. We set it up as Lycon and Toni Bigalus have recommended, 2,300 RPMs + or - 50 at full static run-up and full rated 2,700 RPMs at 7,500' D.Alt. + or - a little. It comes in at 2-3 mph. of other top brand props on the top end and bites hard for good take-off runs. I like ours, it is very durable with Urethane leading edge protectors. I know I have picked up more than a few good size rocks off our old bad taxi areas. Just two pennies, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Your options would increase if you had a hollow crank. Would the swap be worth it? Of course you'd also need a governor and a governor adapter.

Dave

Swapping engines would cost me way north of the $14k to buy an MT! :) If I pull the engine, it would only make sense to put in an IO-360, or at the very least an O-340 stroker to replace the O-320. Plus, I'd still have to buy the constant speed prop, which even though hydraulic would still be around $10k.

The GT prop includes the spinner, but not the electric constant speed controller, which would be another $1k, so around $9k total. So far that is the least expensive option sans finding something on the used market, or an announcement at Sun-n-Fun.

I have a MT electric prop for sale. It needs to go back to MT for repair (prop strike at idle damaged one blade). MT estimated 4500-5k for repair. I'm asking 2k plus shipping as is.

Ping me for details, if interested.

EDIT: This was on a O-235-L2C so it may need both blades replaced, which would likely affect repair cost.

I have a solid crank Lyc O-320, so I can't use a hydraulic prop. I've been looking around for electric variable pitch props, but at $14k the MT is just ridiculously expensive.

I've found GT propellers.

Are there any other companies that make an electric variable pitch prop for a Lycoming O-320?

Thanks,

-Dj

I just ran into these guys from a FB post on the UL engines page. No personal experience but another option available to us. They're from South Africa.
http://www.axsport.co.za/

Feedback from AXSport Aviation, located in South Africa http://www.axsport.co.za/

We are still busy doing the final testing on the Lycoming propeller, we should be finished in about 2 months.

It will be around 6000 USD for the complete setup

Last edited:
DJ,

Don't forget to ask them about blade planform & twist, before pulling the trigger. Make sure they understand not just your HP, but speed range, as well. Their web page talks about light sport, and light sport props, even controllable ones, will not do well on a 160-180 kt RV. Well, climb will be really good, but...

Charlie

Responding to quite an old thread, but I see from their FB page that AXsport Aviation will have a Lycoming cs propeller on an aircraft at Oshkosh this year (booth #646). There are two flying at my home field on 0-320 aerobatic aircraft and RV7 with good results.

There are two flying at my home field on 0-320 aerobatic aircraft and RV7 with good results.

I didn't think they were selling them yet since they are still in the testing phase. Or is your home airfield the one where they are testing?

-Dj

Speed

Responding to quite an old thread, but I see from their FB page that AXsport Aviation will have a Lycoming cs propeller on an aircraft at Oshkosh this year (booth #646). There are two flying at my home field on 0-320 aerobatic aircraft and RV7 with good results.

Interesting. I wonder if they are as fast as hydraulics.

I didn't think they were selling them yet since they are still in the testing phase. Or is your home airfield the one where they are testing?

-Dj

Yes, they test at Morningstar in Cape Town where their own developed AXSport aerobatic aircraft is hangared. The Lycoming props are still being tested. The Rotax props have been sold for years.

Johan

OSh 18 Hangar D 4104

-

Dear RVers, came and see us in EAA OSH 018 in Hangar D 4104.

We gonna display a G.A 3 blade aerobatic prop perfect for fixed pitch three bladed lovers, Spitfire replica for YAK/ M14, and Spitfire replica blades for RV on a CS unit.This one works perfectly on electric or hydraulic hub.

Me and Paolo wait you all there.

CIAO

Alex e Paolo Tonini

I've got a fair bit of experience with electrically adjustable props, and none of it was positive. Far from it. They are awful. They are slow to adjust, bind, tend to wear out brushes and are a general pain in the behind.

Coming from electrically adjustable props, my first hydraulic one was a revelation. So much better. Especially the speed with which they adjust cannot be compared.

In my view, an electric one should be viewed as an in-flight adjustable prop, NOT as constant speed. No matter how many fancy control boxes you throw at them. The difference between those is not all that great when your flying is from A to B mostly. When formation flying or aerobatics is on the agenda, the picture changes completely though.

Given how well a Catto fixed pitch prop works on our birds, the main advantage of a variable pitch prop to me would be the constant speed feature. If it were my plane, I would not bother with an electric pitch prop. Either hydraulic, or leave it fixed pitch. But that's me...

My application may be slightly different. I agree with the "in-flight adjustable" comment, and I'm really looking for two settings, take off and cruise. I intend on putting my Glastar on floats and my engine has a solid crank, so a hydraulic prop is not an option.

Back