What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stops...

kbalch

Well Known Member
Let me preface this query by saying that I'm not an inexperienced builder and yet...

I'm having difficulty fabricating the rudder stops to my satisfaction. I already managed to screw up one half of the first pair on the last cut, so I ordered another of the "raw" drilled angles from Van's - my first extra part of the -14A kit.

The current plans (ever so much improved over the old -8 plans, though I'd love to have a combination of the -8's highly detailed drawings with the -14A's step-by-step instructions) show only two drawings of the rudder stops; it would be useful to see a dimensioned drawing of each face of the part.

Can anyone point me to something like that? Even a set of photos of each face would be useful.

Other than that, the project is moving along. VS, rudder, and HS are done (less the glass tips), elevators and trim tab will be done this week (foam ribs are up next), and the tailcone is nearly complete. Wing kit should be here in the next day or two. Progress! :)

Last edited:
Page 10-04 has the dimensions called out with a scale diagram from top, side and oblique.

Click here to see how mine came out.

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

Thanks, gents.

I've printed each of those photos and will cogitate on them tonight and attack the angle in the morning. Clearly marking the bits to be removed is a good machinist's habit and I didn't do it on the first attempt. No excuse.

Time to go put the snap bushings in the tailcone...

I did it twice. Kept visualizing over the drawing in the plans. It helped to have the "bad" version in hand to avoid the same mistakes. It is REALLY hard to cut through the corner part of the angle - go "wide" and work it down!

Page 10-04 has the dimensions called out with a scale diagram from top, side and oblique.

Click here to see how mine came out.

IMG_4637.JPG

Good idea for making mirror imaged stops for left and right. What you may find, however, because the vertical stabilizer is offset to one side, the stops will end up having to be sized and/or shaped differently from each other too. My recommendation is to make them a bit oversized, cleco to the fuselage, then file down as necessary to get the required travel on each side separately before riveting them on.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Silly question, but is there any good reason to do the stops now vs. once the tail has been mounted and the actual rudder travel limits can be measured/visualized?

Silly question, but is there any good reason to do the stops now vs. once the tail has been mounted and the actual rudder travel limits can be measured/visualized?

I don't see any impediment to that approach. Bucking access is still available, though you might bop your head on the horizontal stab. I ultimately (re)attached my rudder stops because I replaced my F-01412 Aft Bulkhead, explained here.

Keep in mind that the plans seek to accommodate desired rudder travel by offering you the opportunity to remove material from the rudder stops or add material to the rudder horn, as explained on pages 11-09 and 11-10, respectively.

Last edited:
Back