What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAD 429 Sharing

lr172

Well Known Member
I am installing a G3X setup with a GAD 429. If I were to install a G5, can it use the same 429, leveraging the G3X Canbus. If so, can I assume that I will get vertical and horizontal CDI indications on the G5? (429 will be connected to a 430W).

Larry

I have been reading the G5 manual and it seems that you have to choose whether you connect to individual CAN bus components or only to a G3X system. This makes sense I suppose as I can understand why there can only be one master device on the bus.

However, my question is will the G5 be able to communicate directly with the GAD 29 and other CAN bus components if the G3X fails or drops out of service? I would assume Garmin covers that scenario, but it wasn't clear from the manual.

Thanks,

Larry

I have been reading the G5 manual and it seems that you have to choose whether you connect to individual CAN bus components or only to a G3X system. This makes sense I suppose as I can understand why there can only be one master device on the bus.

However, my question is will the G5 be able to communicate directly with the GAD 29 and other CAN bus components if the G3X fails or drops out of service? I would assume Garmin covers that scenario, but it wasn't clear from the manual.

Thanks,

Larry

Hello Larry,

Not sure we understand your first statement. While it is true that you can have a G5 based system with no GDU 37X/4XX displays, you really don't have to do any "choosing" when you add a G5 to the CAN bus on a G3X system. It is just another device on the CAN bus.

Yes, if your G3X Touch GDU 4XX displays become unavailable (for example, turned off to load shed in a power emergency), the G5 is still operating just fine on the CAN bus and working with other devices like the GAD 29 and GTN navigator.

One of the regression flight tests we commonly perform on new software is to turn off the GDU 460/465 displays in our RV-7A and fly a coupled instrument approach using the GTN 750, GAD 29, and G5. The G5 monitors the status of the "big displays" on the CAN bus and automatically knows when it has the ball and takes over flight director(autopilot) and other responsibilities from the other displays.

Something else useful you can do with a G5 in your system is turn off (fail) all of your GSU 25 ADAHRS units. The big displays will automatically start using the ADAHRS data on the CAN bus provided by the G5 until one or more primary ADAHRS units return to service.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Last edited:
Yes, if your G3X Touch GDU 4XX displays become unavailable (for example, turned off to load shed in a power emergency),

Thanks for the response and detail. Just want to be sure this functionality exists with 370 units that I will be installing, as well.

Larry

Thanks for the response and detail. Just want to be sure this functionality exists with 370 units that I will be installing, as well.

Larry

Hello Larry,

Yes, this capability exists for both types of displays (GDU 37X/GDU 4XX).

Thanks,
Steve

Back