What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trig radio installation in 2.25" hole

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi, For those of you that have installed a "compact" Trig radio or transponder in a standard 2.25" hole, did you make an adapter or did one come with the radio? Thanks!

11-10721c.jpg

11-10721d.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ty91vhfradio.php

Hi, For those of you that have installed a "compact" Trig radio or transponder in a standard 2.25" hole, did you make an adapter or did one come with the radio? Thanks!

11-10721c.jpg

11-10721d.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ty91vhfradio.php

The manual implies an installation kit is included and this is a part of the kit -

Mounting adapter (circular hole adapter) 00678-00

A call to Spruce should verify the Installation kit is included

Last edited:
Adapter

Thanks Gil - I didn't see that in the manual. I'll send Trig a mail to see if they can send me some replacements - I must have lost them.

Comes with it!

I just received mine and it has the adapter in the box. I won't be using the control head in any event since I'm using the GRT HXr for switching (at least that's the plan...).

It has an adapter included. And it is one awesome comm radio. As long as you dont try to use the built-in intercom. Also, if you need an adapter Trig has proven to be very customer friendly and has a US support distributor (I think it's Mid Continent in Kansas). High quality hardware.

Jim

Last edited:
Trig intercom

It has an adapter included. And it is one awesome comm radio. As long as you dont try to use the built-in intercom. ...
Hi Jim, I was planning to use the built-in intercom - did you have some issues with it?

I have the adapters unused if you need them (2 sets). I had my panel cut to the basic template.

Available after Oshkosh, or I can bring them to OSH.

Mickey,

In the case of the TY-91 the auxiliary audio input is strictly a low-fidelity mono input designed for simple annunciators and nav radio idents and such and is not intended for use for music or other more traditional auxiliary inputs. Not even a Bichin' Betty voice will work well with it. Also, the intercom controls are only accessible from the set-up mode and therefore not very useful in flight. I would highly encourage an external intercom or audio panel with easy to use knobs and high fidelity over built-in intercom found in any comm radios. With one notable exception. The Garmin GTR 20/200 --- that particular radio has an excellent intercom.

Find yourself a nice PS Engineering PMA1000II or PMA3000 or Sigtronics intercom (etc..) used at a low price and you will be much better off (I recently bought a PMA 1200 for $150 and a stereo PMA 3000 for the same).

Jim

Last edited:
adapters

I have the adapters unused if you need them (2 sets). I had my panel cut to the basic template.

Available after Oshkosh, or I can bring them to OSH.
Thanks a lot Mark - I dropped a note to Trig to see if they would send me some. If that does not work out, I'll get back to you. Appreciate your offer!

Trig confirmed that they will send me the adapters - thanks again!

Last edited:
... I would highly encourage an external intercom or audio panel with easy to use knobs and high fidelity over built-in intercom found in any comm radios. ...
Thanks for your feedback Jim - I have a Flightcom 403 that I was hoping to just not have to install if the Trig intercom was decent - looks like I'll review that.

Thanks for your feedback Jim - I have a Flightcom 403 that I was hoping to just not have to install if the Trig intercom was decent - looks like I'll review that.
I had a Trig TY91 in a very noisy radial powered Pitts for several years. The intercom worked fine and the vox function was perfectly ok. It is a no frills intercom though. If you want bells and whistles and inputs, there isn't really any "built in" intercom integrated with a VHF com radio which provides those.

Intercom

I had a Trig TY91 in a very noisy radial powered Pitts for several years. The intercom worked fine and the vox function was perfectly ok. It is a no frills intercom though. If you want bells and whistles and inputs, there isn't really any "built in" intercom integrated with a VHF com radio which provides those.
Thanks for the feedback. I expect that I'll be flying alone 90% of the time, and when I have a GIB, they will be listening to their own music, asking me "when are we going to get there?" every 5 minutes. Sounds like the basic intercom should work once I get it tuned. If not, I'll just yank the panel and add one I guess. :)

Back