What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Rollbar

jask

Well Known Member
I got the replacement rollbar today from Vans. This one is better than the original but it is still not flat on the canopy rails. This one rocks about 1/8 inch and the original is almost 1/4. Does anyone have any reommendations for this problem and is it common? I also checked it on another flat surface and it is indeed not made correctly.

I might be misunderstanding and not sure if this is a slider or tip-up but the slider roll-bar mounts to the longerons, not the canopy rails.

Maybe related, maybe not, but the RV-6 plans have you use shims to square the roll bar with the longerons. How is that accomplished in the -7?

Same for the -7...

Page 9-9 of the instruction manual

Install bolts/nuts/washers to hold the roll bar in place for further fitting. With the nuts tightened, double-check that the roll bar is square to the fuselage longerons. See DWG 42, View C-C. Use shims if/as required.

Rollbar

Sorry, I was checking it on the longerons. The 90 degree angles are correct to the rollbar but it looks like the rollbar is not bent correctly. If you could twist the rollbar a little, then it would fit flat and be square to the longerons. Is it possible to twist the rollbar a little. If I use any shims, I he rollbar won't be 90 degrees to the longerons.

Sorry, I was checking it on the longerons. The 90 degree angles are correct to the rollbar but it looks like the rollbar is not bent correctly. If you could twist the rollbar a little, then it would fit flat and be square to the longerons. Is it possible to twist the rollbar a little. If I use any shims, I he rollbar won't be 90 degrees to the longerons.

Yes, twist away, slowly, until happy with the results. Find a nice flats surface to confirm the twist is gone. You may need to do some bending to meet the width requirement gaps as well, per instructions.

Back