What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Houston

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So my high school 50th reunion is coming up, and Andrau Airpark (where I recall seeing an air show in about 1952 when I was three or so) is long since gone.

The hotel of interest is near the Galleria, right at the epicenter of Houston traffic congestion. First reunion event is Friday night, but that's not high priority.

So what airports would folks recommend, considering gas prices, overnight parking, rental car, and traffic? Or uber? And any fun stops between Savannah and Houston?

Thanks!

Ed "I'm too old for all this hassle" Wischmeyer

West Houston Airport KIWS is the closest about 20 minutes to the Galleria depending on time of day. It is in the "energy corridor" with hotels, restaurants and other services in the area

I've been into Ellington several times. No problems.

A nice thing about Ellington is you can park adjacent to some neat NASA hardware like an RB-57F, U-2, or Super Guppy. In addition, the Flying Legend museum is on-field so you could check out a bunch of WWII hardware.

Try LVJ, down in Pearland. There are lots if RV's on the field. Give me a call and I'll put you in touch with a friend who lives on the field. (I have a new phone and lost your number.) You might get lucky and get a hangar for the duration of your visit.

Need Houston RV friendly Airport near Medical Center

I need to go to Houston mid August for medical exams. Will be going in my new to me RV9 that I pick up next weekend. Any suggestions for an RV friendly airport close to the medical center and possibly available hangar space from August 12 to August 16?

I need to go to Houston mid August for medical exams. Will be going in my new to me RV9 that I pick up next weekend. Any suggestions for an RV friendly airport close to the medical center and possibly available hangar space from August 12 to August 16?

There is a Houston lunch group on this forum, check with them.

BTW, did you get a 9 or a 9A? Congratulations either way.

Thank you Kyle. Flew into Ellington a few times years ago in my L-39. Glad to know they like RV's as well.

I live near the Galleria and keep my -7A at KIWS. 20-25 minutes unless it's rush hour, then you're looking at double that.

Back