What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Question

patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi Team Rocket Builders,
I am ready to begin the Speed Slope Canopy fabrication for my F4 Raider.
But, there appears to be no plans available for this part of the project. My question is:

1.) do any of you have plans for the Speed Slope Canopy construction? How did you fit yours?

If not,

2) where exactly should I position the forward Hoop onto the rails of the fuselage? If I know that measurement, I think I can work out the rest.

Pics here

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMz_M6XBbg3fQKP8p0rqjguzkRogU-CdIEt32aO

Thanks

Last edited:
Ron,

The "plans" are in the builder's manuals on the private TR forum. You need to log on, then find the manual sections to find what you need. You might want to just print them all out.

The manual section is the very first one in the menus. You can't miss it.

Also, there are many useful Rocket builder sites with canopy sections. A good one is Randy Planzer's site in his canopy section

I did try to call Andy about this and left him a message.

Let me know what else you might need!

Hey Ron, as Vince says, the speed slope canopy installation is pretty well detailed in Chapter 3C of the F1 Assembly Manual (REV 2.27 15 Oct 2003). The canopy bow location is covered on page 271:
FORE/AFT POSITIONING:
The aft attach hole should be 8? aft of the aft face of the #4 bulkhead. Make sure the attach holes clear the upper longeron flange; drill these holes 1/4?.
Some width adjustment may be necessary ? the attach brackets should lay 1/8? inside of the skin attach doublers.

The Speed Slope instructions start on page 323. On my aircraft the boot cowl cut is about 8 1/8" aft of the forward edge on the centerline. From the forward edge of the SS windscreen to the aft edge is about 27 1/4". (Difficult to measure with the fairings on). What you have to do is to cut and fit the plexiglass first then draw and cut the boot cowl to fit.
Mark

Back