What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Raptor prototype engine on an RV-10

alexbanman

I'm New Here
Does anyone have any experience that could give some good insight on whether the raptor engine setup would work on the RV-10. Obviously it would be in a pull configuration on the RV-10. weight of the engine is coming in around 550lb and looks to have around 340 hp. Seems to me you could save a lot on this setup versus a lycoming, also could cruse at higher altitude more efficiently.
Just about to start an RV-10 build and i obviously don't want an unsafe motor or to create allot of extra work for myself but lycomings are expensive and the engine they are putting together for the raptor prototype looks realy well put together and would be cheap to maintain. Also runs on jet fuel which is available everywhere.

Got a link to the engine?

My opinion is that any alternative engine will increase the build time substantially. And I'm not talking 10%...

Standard dry weight of the IO-540D4A5 is 412lbs. So with your proposal, that?s a lot of extra weight on the nose that will require serious modifications to control cg.

Haven't heard anything lately and frankly, the project looks like a wet dream. Do some research and I think you'll come to the conclusion that the claims of that aircraft just aren't attainable at the specs they claim. As for the engine...same thing. I really would love to see them succeed for the prices they claim, but not sure it's going to happen. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting around on the powerplant to finish a plane.

Haven't heard anything lately and frankly, the project looks like a wet dream. Do some research and I think you'll come to the conclusion that the claims of that aircraft just aren't attainable at the specs they claim. As for the engine...same thing. I really would love to see them succeed for the prices they claim, but not sure it's going to happen. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting around on the powerplant to finish a plane.

I also think this would be a major challenge to fit this engine to a -10.

That being said, it does look like they are making progress and are reporting on the progress regularly through this Vlog. Although I will admit, with very little detailed info.

Way too soon to consider this setup for your RV10. It's only run in the most preliminary way to date. The mission is quite different on the Raptor, being a high flying pressurized aircraft, hence the 2 stage turbo setup.

They found from fuel flow testing, the hp is far short of the target at the boost and rpm they've been running.

Numerous gearbox issues, high weight, zero track record.

Better wait and see and I don't think they are considering selling engine packages for other airframes anyway.

Raptor

Are you guys trying to say there slick
Internet add is.... let?s use the word,
?Optimistic? ?

I commend Peter for showing the complete development and construction in his videos. Few companies would demonstrate such transparency. They show the mistakes and triumphs and deserve much credit for this IMO.

We should wait and see when he's done if the engine and airframe work as originally envisioned. Peter seems like the type of chap who'll admit any shortfalls with the finished product as he's demonstrated so far to date.

He's not an engine guy but he is a determined, talented and tireless engineer.

My advice to anyone considering any alternative engine is to wait until at least one example has shown excellent reliability for at least 100 hard ground test hours (at MCP) and 500 flight hours. This Audi based engine is nowhere near that benchmark yet.

Raptor Engine

I got real excited about the Inodyne turbine when I was building my -8. My friends talked me out of pursuing that and I have been grateful for that. Unless you are prepared to be a beta tester at your own expense and time for a product that may not happen, then by all means, write them a check.

I got real excited about the Inodyne turbine when I was building my -8. My friends talked me out of pursuing that and I have been grateful for that. Unless you are prepared to be a beta tester at your own expense and time for a product that may not happen, then by all means, write them a check.

Same here, and then the Deltahawk, and then the Subaru. In the end, by the time I was ready to buy/install the engine, I had come to realize just what would be entailed and I made the choice to put on a Lycoming. After 8 years and 1985 building hours, I was ready to fly and not tinker.

Peter did some higher power tests 2 days ago, getting up to around 320hp by my estimation from FF data. It's a good milestone but it hasn't spent more than a few minutes there so nobody knows how it will last at that power setting.

Kudos for him to continue the testing and get more time on it. Certainly an interesting project.

Thanks for comments. I have a few years till I need an engine. I will keep following it. I'm curious if it would even fit in the rv. If not it's pointless to follow. Also would the extra power be to much for the rv. My thought is that it would be nice for takeoffs and climbing and could cruise at 40-50% power around 190mph while still being fuel efficient.

I don't believe Audi is still producing this engine for one thing and I'm pretty sure Peter won't be offering FWF engine packages for other airframes. He has a LOT of other things to take up his time and energies with on the Raptor project.

The project is amazing and is worth watching to see how it ends up. I applaud his efforts and transparency. Peter is a doer, not a talker like so many in this field.

Last edited:
Alex, if you really want a diesel (umm, excuse me, "Jet-A engine"), search VAF for "Scott Flandermeyer", and/or download a recent Kitplanes article about his project.

The Continental CD-265 might be an available package by the time you're ready to buy.

What part for the RV-10 doesn't carry an eye-watering price? ;-)

Actually, I think that one of the biggest draws of the RV-10 is its (relative) efficiency and dare I say it, economy.

I just read Pia’s article on the Mako. Sexy beast for sure, but in comparison to the 10, the kit is twice as expensive, the engine is twice as expensive, and for all that, you get to go 30 ktas faster on twice the fuel burn. Ironically, the Mako was pitched as a fraction of the price of a Cirrus which is true. The market value of a well built 10 can be 80-100k more than the cost to smartly build, and the market seems strong and active.
I love that there are those in our avocation to whom money is no object, but to most of us, it does matter and from my experience, the RV10 is a tremendous value (as if any airplane can be called such a thing).

Last edited:
The RV-10 is a proven airframe, and the Lycoming 540 a proven powerplant. Seems like a logical combination to me. I understand that people have been trying to develop alternative power plants for years, with mixed success, and sooner or later someone will get it right. There is a reason Van has "recommended" engines for his airplanes, he hasn't let us down yet!

Back