What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gettysburg trip

SteveHRV7

My son and are planning a trip by RV from Michigan to visit Gettysburg in August. Looking at the map, Gettysburg Regional (W05) is really close but doesn?t have much in the way of services. Any suggestions on where I could fly into, tie down and rent a car? Thanks!

I?m based at Frederick MD (KFDK). Frederick has what you need and so does Hagerstown (KHGR). Those are probably closest outside of Gettysburg. You are correct in that Gettysburg has no services. There are tie downs on grass, but no fuel. Frederick is about 50 min drive and Hagerstown about the same. Check with a Gettysburg car dealer for rentals if you want to park at Gettysburg. Probably someone who will rent a car.

Okay, here is my take on your request. I live in Gettysburg and base my RV out of Carroll County Airport KDMW. KDMW is 35 minutes from airport to the heart of Gettysburg. Its about 26 miles away. Carroll County has tie downs, car rental and very good fuel prices. Gettysburg W05 has a real nice runway, no access to fuel (have to be based their to get fuel) on field and a rental car can be had. At Carroll County your plane is secure in a gated airfield, but not at W05. If you would like to call me for any additional questions here is my cell, Steve 267 614-8251. PS, lots of flying activity at Carroll and quite a few RV's too!

Steve Koziol
President EAA Chapter 1384 (KDMW)
RV9A N424JK

+1 on Steve's recommendation, parking at KDMW was a good experience for us. Good to know that our choice was good one. :)

I've gone into Hagerstown for a project recently and toured Gettysburg. Awe inspiring place.

Ryder Jet Center at KHGR treated me like royalty with my RV-8 and never charged me a hangar fee as one of the owner has an incredible 8 of his own!

Nice place, rental cars on site, many hotels nearby. Can't go wrong.

I've gone into Hagerstown for a project recently and toured Gettysburg. Awe inspiring place.

Ryder Jet Center at KHGR treated me like royalty with my RV-8 and never charged me a hangar fee as one of the owner has an incredible 8 of his own!

Nice place, rental cars on site, many hotels nearby. Can't go wrong.
Also the restaurant at KHGR is really really really good.

Back