What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DFW visit in July

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys. Seems I posted this in the southern region instead of here.

Am an RV8 owner from down under attending the CAE Sim centre in Dallas early July for a few weeks, just wondering if there are any RV drivers in the area?
Thanks.

Looks like no one in here owns an 8 in the DFW area? Am a week away from coming over, hope someone reads this!:)

I'm surprised you haven't had any responses.

VAF central is 25 miles from DFW. There's plenty of activity here.

Perhaps ask again on arrival.

I'm not from the area but I know that there's an -8A at Hicks Airfield just west of Fort Worth. I bought my RV-14 kit off of him. My impression has been that there's not a large percentage of VAFers that pay attention to regional forums.

Going for a new type? Did my LJ45 recurrent there (at their satellite facility next to the terminals) in May.

North Texas RVs

SabreFlyr may be on to something... try reposting in the 'General Discussion'
area instead of the regional thread.

North Texas has to be in the top two or three areas of the largest concentration of RV's of any place in the US maybe the world.

I have an 8 based Very close to the "Vans Air Force" world headquarters

Send me a pm... Maybe we can get together. I have very few days off in early July so that I have the end off to go to Oshkosh

Feel free to stop by my place anytime at 52F, always 3-4 RV around and always looking for a reason to goof off :D

(3) RV 8's in my hangar (52F)

...an 8, an 8A and an 8 (under construction).

Stop by!

v/r,dr

Walt goof off? Say it?s not so.....

Feel free to stop by my place anytime at 52F, always 3-4 RV around and always looking for a reason to goof off :D

Hey Adrian....52F is a great place and Walt will gladly put down a tool to chat as will his brother Rick...get them together and it?s Goof-off x Arnow squared = great visit :D Walt will gladly share his wealth of knowledge in a straightforward no nonsense manner..... you won?t regret the visit!

Then you can head to the VAF cave and see the man behind the VAF Force....
OB Doug Kanobee.....bring a cup of coffee for your visit:)

Then you can head to the VAF cave and see the man behind the VAF Force....
OB Doug Kanobee.....bring a cup of coffee for your visit:)

...I?m on the next hangar row from DR, next to Randy Richmond Aviation, and have plenty of K-cups to brew the coffee. When are you coming to town, Capt?

Not to thread jack

I'll be helping the in-laws move to Keller, TX the week of Osh, but hopefully I can steal a car for a morning and come out to see some RV's. If there are any around that week...

Well you'll miss me and many of the others, but there'll be some stragglers around.

Wow thanks for the replies guys, thought maybe us Aussies are not popular for some reason.:)
I'll touch base wth you guys when I arrive into DFW July 8th, coming from a cold place here in Oz I'll warm up fast I'd say!:)

'SabreFlyr' yeah coming over to do an initial 45 endo at CAE East fascility, have 35/6 time but not the 45, my head is full of 45 numbers!👍

Well am here in Texas, first time, first time anywhere actually👍
Bit of a heat shock🙂
Everything is so big, I guess we Aussies don't come in large numbers!🙂
Crazy watching cars on the r/h side of the hwy! Even the water here goes down the toilet the wrong way here😂
Wish I had more leasure time.

Now to try a burger made in Texas👍

As others have said, Hicks Field and Northwest Regional airports have lots of RVs. Jay Pratt at Hicks always has several RVs being built, and Northwest has Walt, Randy, and Doug's hanger.

If you go to Northwest Regional, you should stop at Roanoke to grab a burger at Twisted Root, or get some BBQ at Hard Eight. If you want a Chain Bruger then Whataburger is the official Texas burger place (according to my son and his friends!).

Have fun looking around! I would take time off work but just came back from an 11 day trip flying around North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama and have to catch up on work.

TJ

Hicks Airport (T67)

Is also a beehive of RV talent. Jay Pratt may be absent when you arrive (he may leave for OSH early for volunteer duties) but ask around for plenty of RV people on the airport. Check by my hangar #230 and I can refer you several RV8 owners and introduce you to a Texas-size burger at the local Beacon Cafe.
I'd love to visit OZ again - last time was in 1977 to Amberly RAF Station near Brisbane during my first life as a military pilot.

Cheers,

Guys am hoping to catch up with a few of you keen RV drivers but it depends on my training schedule which I will find out more tomorrow (Tues)
Anyone here looking at coming to down under are always welcome to come stay at my property about an hour Nth of Melbourne in the state of Victoria. We don't have the GA industry you guys have but we few RV'ers are silly keen👍👍

Back