What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Savannah GA Airport Recommendation

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a potential business trip to the Savannah area on July 9. I'd be flying the -8 and would like recommendations on the friendliest airport as well as any potential hangar space availability for that evening. I'd be leaving late the next day. Thanks for any help!

Fifty or so miles south you have 3 within 10 miles of each other. All are a friendly bunch. I am thinking your most likely overnight accommodations will be either BQK Brunswick, or SSI St Simons Island. There are some RV owners base at SSI, maybe they will chime in and help you out better than I. 09J Jekyll Island is less modern, but has a quaintness you will find no other place in the area. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Good FBO at KSAV (Sheltair) - you may want to call to check on hangar.

Closer than BQK (Brunswick) is Wright Army Airfield (LHW) - they have a big community hangar that may be available. Nice field but a little tricky to fly into as there are "always active" restricted areas just north/west of field (live fire ranges). If you call the airport manager they are very helpful. You can fly from around SAV to JANIE intersection to get a straight shot into the airport clear of restricted area, or fly to Alma (AMG) then direct to the field.

Brunswick and all those are a good hour's drive south, some a bit more than that. Wright Field is friendly, but don't count on a hangar and since it's in the middle of an army base, there's no ground transportation nor anything else. K$AV is pricey at Signature, don't know about Sheltair. Swaid's and Hodges' are private grass fields, prior permission, but both are isolated. Ridgeland up the road in SC is also a bit far away, don't think there's an FBO there. Statesboro is maybe an option, a bit less than an hour away, Plantation has only a gas pit. Big tradeoff on convenience vs price coming into Savannah, and don't count on a hangar unless you really want to pay for it or unless somebody with space replies to your post.

What part of Savannah are you going to?

At this time of year, don't plan on an afternoon departure due to thunderstorms, and the Brunswick area has more storms than other areas. Mornings can be 500 scattered to overcast, but that hasn't been the case the last few days. (There's a reason the RV-9A is IFR equipped...) Sometimes the KSAV has less morning goo than the inland airports, so watch the weather the next few days.

Have a great visit, maybe our paths can cross, but please write a letter to the airport commi$$ion, the new$paper, and the TV $tation$ telling them of your experience$. Gulfstream is taking over the airport, and the bizjet-centric FBO$...

Ed

I had a daughter in school in Savannah for four years, and frequented the airport there. (KSAV)

Super nice folks at the Sheltair FBO, and possibly the best courtesy car I?ve ever used?a new Toyota van.

The eighth Air Force museum is fairly close to the airport and worth a visit.

We had a great experience with Sheltair @ KSAV when we did a two day visit last fall. Big airport pricing but not totally out of line. Be warned, everyone (even the lighting store sales rep) will promote their favorite place to drink downtown, which worked for our social visit but might be annoying on a business trip. ;)

Thanks to all for the replies. I had figured that Statesboro was the most practical alternative to SAV. I'll call over there and see what I can work out. The good news for me is that I can afford to stay overnight and leave the next morning when the weather is better.

KLHW

I flew into LHW last year when we met up with my folks to tour Savannah and was treated great....reasonable fuel costs, and they stashed me in a almost-new huge hangar that I was the only occupant of...they let me use the courtesy car to snag my rental car too.

Good folks!

Lots of airspace around there, but just go in with flight-following and they'll work you in with minimal hassles, so don't let that influence your decision.

Other RV-er's outta there, too...

I ended up at KLHW today and was very happy with my choice. Charlie (FBO Manager) and Jay his lineman were waiting on me and the -8 is in a hangar safe and sound. Gas is about $3.00 a gallon cheaper than KSAV there and I rented a car at Enterprise, spent a few hours at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum before heading downtown. Thanks to all for the various comments and advice!

Wish I'd known you were there, Mark. LHW is my home base. Charlie and crew are great!

Wish I'd known you were there, Mark. LHW is my home base. Charlie and crew are great!

Charlie put the -8 in the hangar with the tug. I'll be heading out Wed morning relatively early to try and beat the buildups back home. Looks like some nice hangars there and a nice airport, especially when they get all that renovation complete. Sorry I missed you!

Back