What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Question

workky

Really foolish question, i have studied and figured out some stuff however here goes my dumb question

When the aircraft is complete it will be certified with whatever instruments are installed at the time? I assuming in my research this is true, However

What happens later if if install IFR equipment, can i fly in IFR conditions or file an IFR flight plan, does this make sense?

As long as the equipment installed meets the requirements for IFR flight, and the proper instrument certifications and checks are up to date, then yes you can file and fly IFR flight plans.

As long as the equipment installed meets the requirements for IFR flight, and the proper instrument certifications and checks are up to date, then yes you can file and fly IFR flight plans.

?.and assuming, of course, that the pilot is also a current and qualified IFR pilot.

Also, don't forget that there can't be any IFR prohibitions in the aircraft's operating restrictions/limitations (issued by the FAA examiner or DAR).

Your operating limitations will typically have wording such as "not approved for IFR flight unless equipped according to..."

So yes, once you're out of Phase I you can pop in a GTN625, put a valve in your static line, have your transponder signed off and you're legal.

Your operating limitations will typically have wording such as "not approved for IFR flight unless equipped according to..."

So yes, once you're out of Phase I you can pop in a GTN625, put a valve in your static line, have your transponder signed off and you're legal.

I am interested in your comment about a valve in the static line. I put an alternate static valve in my RV-14A, because I have one in my Piper Archer and think it is a good idea. However, I was not aware it is required for IFR. Do you have a reference for this? Asking for a friend . . . :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Ok, Kool
Who would sign off on the transponder?

You need a transponder / encoder sign off every 24 months, regardless. The IFR check is more $trict than the VFR check, but many avionics shops will do this. There are some guys who go from airport to airport doing checks, but they may be overbooked.

So to recap:

- check your oplims and make sure IFR flight is authorized. Chances are they will say VFR only unless equipped IAW 91.205 for night and IFR flight. However, some older ones might not give you that option so you’d have to go to your FSDO and get new ones issued (generally pretty easy to do).
- get or have current 91.411 (altimeter system) and 91.413 (transponder) checks. Technically a transponder isn’t actually required for IFR flight by reg, but it’s impractical to fly IFR without one.

Which leads me to an alternate static source, alternate fuel vents lines, pitot heat, etc. None of that is legally required for IFR in the US but based upon your installed systems (e.g. an EFIS) and personal risk limits, they might be good ideas.

Last edited:
I am interested in your comment about a valve in the static line. I put an alternate static valve in my RV-14A, because I have one in my Piper Archer and think it is a good idea. However, I was not aware it is required for IFR. Do you have a reference for this? Asking for a friend . . . :rolleyes:

Not required for part 91 in the US. In Canada it seems to be required for all IFR (heated pitot too). Perhaps experts will chime in on the regs in other countries.

Ok, Kool
Who would sign off on the transponder?

The shop I use locally I learned of through word of mouth. Question for experts: is there a place on teh internetz to look up local shops authorized to do the static system check?

For VFR-only that's true only for flight in Class A/B/C, or under Mode C Veil. Unless that's changed?

Plus flight above 10,000 feet MSL, over the 48 contiguous states or the District of Columbia, excluding that airspace below 2,500 feet AGL.

Plus flight above 10,000 feet MSL, over the 48 contiguous states or the District of Columbia, excluding that airspace below 2,500 feet AGL.

I think there?s some mixing of the rules here. You?re quoting where a mode C transponder is required. But if you have a transponder, any transponder, it has to be turned off/placarded if not inspected biennially

I think there’s some mixing of the rules here. You’re quoting where a mode C transponder is required. But if you have a transponder, any transponder, it has to be turned off/placarded if not inspected biennially

Kinda, but more just not telling the whole story. In the post of mine you quoted, I was simply adding an operating condition Aluminum left off his 91.215 airspace list above. What you’re bringing up that and he left off is 91.215 states that if you turn a transponder on in any controlled airspace it has to have a current 91.413 check.

It is possible to fly in class G only with a transponder on that hasn’t had a current 91.413 check as stipulated in 91.215, but what would be the point?

Last edited:
Back