What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF forum emails from (unknown sender)

spaceflightmeow

Whenever I get emails from the VAF forums (for PMs, subscribed threads, etc), Gmail flags them as (unknown sender) and marks them as spam. Google's reason: "It is in violation of Google's recommended email sender guidelines. "

A snippet from an email header of a VAF email gives some clues:

Code:
Return-Path:
...and then further down..
Code:
Return-Path: <>

Maybe the blank From address or blank return path have something to do with it? I googled "vbulletin messages marked as spam" and found this

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/for...7-registration-emails-marked-as-spam-in-gmail

It says:
You may want to try to change the webmaster email to an email address from your domain name. You should also try the -f option and if that does not work, you can request that your host check their mail settings/error logs or contact gmail to determine why you are being flagged as spam.

Doug, it would be great if you could fix this.

Good luck what that. :)

(Do a forum search on the subject.)

You found the reason, just not a solution.

[ed. Next revision. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the SPF listing?

Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 204.144.126.109 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of postmaster@webserver30y) client-ip=204.144.126.109;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=neutral (google.com: 204.144.126.109 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of postmaster@webserver30y) smtp.helo=webserver30y {formatting added}

Shouldn't the sender domain for VAF be listed in the SPF? According to another google post, if the review is "neutral" then gmail sees it as spam. "Sender Policy Framework"

I see Dr's comment now . . .

In the voice of Roseanne Roseannadanna - Never mind.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is still killing my email notifications,
any chance the admins will fix it.

Thanks in advance
- Roman.

Any update on this. Since we can't use tapatalk or similar because we need ads (I'm ok with that).. mail notifications are a big thing that's not working now..

Thanks

Edit : after some digging, this has been discussed more than once... but for some reasons I could only find this post...

So, anyway, I made a filter in gmail to never mark them as spam by looking for the text "VAF Forums" in the body. Here's the link to the explanation : http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1018055&postcount=22

Last edited:
Back