What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oregon beach runways

Bevan

Well Known Member
My wife and I are considering an anniversary weekend to northwestern Oregon via RV7A. Probably base ourselves at a bed n breakfast at or within walking distance of an airport. We would like to fly out to a beach or two for lunch, shopping, scenic walks along the beach etc. Looking for suggestions for B&B within walking distance of an airport, and airstrips at or within walking distance of the beach, resturants etc.

Are there restrictions from landing on a deserted beach (if there are any), certain areas permitted etc?

Bevan

From the Oregon Department of Aviation:

Landing on the beach, except in an emergency, is specifically prohibited by ORS 836.510. The coastal police departments are very aware of this and enforce it vigorously. Also, ORS 837.090 prohibits landings on public highways and other public grounds without the permission of the authorities in charge.

I would look at these places.

KAST Astoria
56S Seaside
KPFC Pacific City
KONP Newport

Have you considered going to Bend? Better weather and lots of things to do

S21 Sunriver is a resort with an Airport and rental cars.

https://www.destinationhotels.com/sunriver-resort

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Oregon Coast - Newport or Florence are probably good choices. Also consider Nehalem airport (Camping and B&B). Nehalem Bay airport is a 15 minute walk to Bed and Breakfast and is located VERY near the beach and on a camp ground.

also consider San Juan islands? Many choices for walking distance B&Bs and great walks into neat little towns. Great scenery of Seattle skyline with many airports with plenty of things to do. Also very near Victoria Canada... Facebook FATPNW site will get you LOTS of info!

Also - don't forget to visit Florence - whether you stay there or not. Take the courtesy car for a trip up to the Sea Lion caves and/or Light tower just north.

Copalis State S16

Just 20 RV minutes north of Oregon border there is Copalis State airport S16. Right on the beach. :)

Farther south, Gold Beach is a good destination. airport is easy walk to beach and town. Bandon, the airport is a ways out of town, but they may still have a rental car or courtesy car, not sure.

Farther south, Gold Beach is a good destination. airport is easy walk to beach and town. Bandon, the airport is a ways out of town, but they may still have a rental car or courtesy car, not sure.

Take the Mail Boat (jet boat) ride up the Rouge River if you go to Gold Beach.

Nehalem Bay State is in the State Park and offers easy access to the Bay and Beach.

There are many options up and down the Northern Oregon coast.
Pacific City (walk to Beach and Town)
Nehalem Bay State ( walk to Beach and Town) Camping
Astoria (courtesy car to get you into town)

If you expand further north or south, even more options open up.

As noted, don?t land on Oregon Beaches. They are public property and considered to be a highway, with a 25 mph speed limit in areas where they allow cars. The State Police and local Police patrol the beaches.

I grew up on the North Coast and have a home in Manzanita. PM your plans. If you end up there when we are over there, we can introduce ourselves.

Just 20 RV minutes north of Oregon border there is Copalis State airport S16. Right on the beach.

Just to be clear, Copalis is in Washington state, the runway is the beach (sand) and landing there is legal, unlike in Oregon.

Erich

Check out Tillamook too. Not sure about nearby B&B's, but there is a decent air museum on the field, the cheese factory, and it's close to Tillamook Bay.

Check out Tillamook too. Not sure about nearby B&B's, but there is a decent air museum on the field, the cheese factory, and it's close to Tillamook Bay.

Most of the Museum, Erickson Collection, moved to Madras. I haven?t been there since but was told it is a shade of its former self?
I wouldn?t stay in Tillamook. Too many cows and it smells like cow poop. Beaches are a long way away. I have a hangar there.
The Cheese factory remodel is nearing completion but isn?t quite done yet. I was there for several days last week. Worth a look when it reopens.
I grew up in Tillamook within site of the Blimp hangars, one hangar now, but it is worth looking at one of the largest wood buildings in the world.

Legal beach landing

As mentioned and pictured prior, for a normal legal beach landing, S16 Copalis is a State airport and closed winter months. Also, a high tide may influence your desire to land. Low tide is smart. It is a must do though, for the experience.

Back