What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider newbie question

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I have an RV7 slider, I love it and it?s the best option for me.

Sometimes I don?t want the slider to slide all the way back but would like it open a few inches.

How have others made this happen? Thanks

For when my RV-6 is parked I have a second slot for the lock that leaves the canopy open 3-4". Maybe you could drill a hole in the track and have a spring-loaded pin that you push down into the hole. It should stay put while the canopy is open due to the canopy wanting to slide open further (at least on a taildragger). To disengage it, push the canopy towards closed a bit, the pin pops out and you can open or close the canopy all the way. Having the "default" pin position as disengaged lessens it interfering with a hasty exit.

It ain't elegant, but I use a spring clamp on the slider side track about 10" aft of the front. The roller butts up to it preventing the slider from moving any further and requiring me to duck my head as it passes. When not in use, I clamp it under the armrest.

Ed Holyoke

I have an RV7 slider, I love it and it?s the best option for me.

Sometimes I don?t want the slider to slide all the way back but would like it open a few inches.

How have others made this happen? Thanks

Used a couple of Mike Zeller canopy latches on my 8. One at a couple inches open and one at half open. Don?t know if these would also work on a 7 slider.

It ain't elegant, but I use a spring clamp on the slider side track about 10" aft of the front. The roller butts up to it preventing the slider from moving any further and requiring me to duck my head as it passes. When not in use, I clamp it under the armrest.

Ed Holyoke

Perfect!
Light weight, portable, stow-able, could be used for a variety of purposes. Handy weapon in a nipple pinching contest.

Back