What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To "A", or Not to "A"?

DRBuilder

Well Known Member
Just curious...... How many of you that have already placed your order for the 14 wing kit are planning to build a 14A vs a 14?
I am also wondering if the landing gear on the 14 are going to be rectangular like the 14A or will they be round like the 7's main gear legs? I loved flying my 7 but am seriously considering an A model this time. If the main gear legs on the 14 are rectangular and will not tend to have the wheel shimmy at low speeds, I will probably stay with the 14. Decisions, decisions........ :rolleyes:

Wng kit # 140012 on its way soon!

I believe 14 squared will be a nose wheel aircraft. I have a little time in tail wheel aircraft but the ease of take off and landing for me outweigh the added weight and drag of a nose wheel. With that being said my wife who likes to fly with me likes nose wheel airplanes so is there any other choice?;)

Just curious...... How many of you that have already placed your order for the 14 wing kit are planning to build a 14A vs a 14?
I am also wondering if the landing gear on the 14 are going to be rectangular like the 14A or will they be round like the 7's main gear legs? I loved flying my 7 but am seriously considering an A model this time. If the main gear legs on the 14 are rectangular and will not tend to have the wheel shimmy at low speeds, I will probably stay with the 14. Decisions, decisions........ :rolleyes:

Wng kit # 140012 on its way soon!

The RV-14 will have a round rod main gear attached using sockets in the motor mount, very much like the RV-7

For me the choice was easy. I wanted to fly cool airplanes and cool airplanes have tailwheels. For example, one year I did my biannual in a stearman and another in a DHC-1 Chipmunk.

Last edited:
That's why the RV-14 will be available as a tri-gear or a tail dragger.....

For the people that just like to fly really fun airplanes...

And for the people (personality's) that have a personal need to constantly emphasize something more :D

BTW, I have quite a bit of time in both, so I know exactly how much fun they can (and can't) be. ;)
I get just as much enjoyment out of flying either one.....

"A" vs tail wheel

Built my RV9 as an "A" model. Flew it for 200 hrs and converted it to a tail wheel. Very happy with the airplane as a taildragger. Sold it after another 300 hours. (500hrs tt) I have to admit that it was slightly more difficult to sell as a tail wheel. That may have been because people expect to see 9's with nose gear. I don't know. I now have an 8, and of course its a tail wheel. I live on a grass runway and that was a contributing factor to my decision to convert the 9.
It's really a personal choice. Good luck!

Did I Start A Debate?

When I started this thread, I was interested to know how many of the EXISTING RV14 Kit buyers were planning on an A model vs the tail dragger model. I didn't mean to revisit the age old tail dragger vs the training wheel debate. :rolleyes:
I am a tail dragger pilot myself but didn't like the wheel shimmy that a lot of the 7's had, including mine. That's another reason I inquired about the main gear legs on the 14. I am also blessed with a son that has a serious interest in learning to fly and I wasn't ready to turn him loose in my 7. That's another reason I sold it, to build a 14 with a "training wheel" on the front so I can teach my son how to fly, and more importantly, land. :D
And for the record, the reason I chose a 7 for my 1st build was because it looked so COOL! :cool:

When I started this thread, I was interested to know how many of the EXISTING RV14 Kit buyers were planning on an A model vs the tail dragger model. I didn't mean to revisit the age old tail dragger vs the training wheel debate. :rolleyes:
I am a tail dragger pilot myself but didn't like the wheel shimmy that a lot of the 7's had, including mine. That's another reason I inquired about the main gear legs on the 14. I am also blessed with a son that has a serious interest in learning to fly and I wasn't ready to turn him loose in my 7. That's another reason I sold it, to build a 14 with a "training wheel" on the front so I can teach my son how to fly, and more importantly, land. :D
And for the record, the reason I chose a 7 for my 1st build was because it looked so COOL! :cool:

It appears the score is::rolleyes: 14A-2, 14-0

A slight correction

to RVbuilder's post. From Van's website "The main landing gear is extremely simple, consisting of tapered steel leaf springs with a wheel on one end and the airplane on the other. There are no oleos, bungee cords or shock absorbers. The nosewheel rides on a robust steel strut." Killing my stiffener business, LOL.

It's an -A for me. It's going to be a trainer and shared family aircraft for me and my 3 ladies. Ordered the wings 11/6/2012.

Last edited:
I know real men fly tail draggers... but I personally like the low stress landing of the Nose Gear, if I was building a 14 it would definately be a nose dragger:D

Most of my time is in tail draggers, but my wife may get her ticket in the 14, so it will be a nose dragger. Tail draggers are much more fun but the nose dragger has better taxiing visibility.

Back