What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reamer Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Maybe this is not the right place for the thread, but..

It says to final drill all the rib holes with a #40 drill bit. For some reason, the list of tools I got from the building class said to buy a #41 reamer. Can I get away with the #41 for final drilling/reaming the holes for the ribs? I can use a #40 drill bit, but the reamer works so much nicer.

I just want to keep moving along, but I will buy a #40 reamer today. DOn't expect it until mid week.

Thanks
Ken

Thousands of RV's are flying today with all of their holes DRILLED (not reamed) to #40, so if you choose not to wait, you will be in good company....

Reamers make more perfect holes. One advantage of less perfect holes, either slightly oblong or triangular, is that the set rivet takes on the same imperfect shape and "locks" into the hole making it less likely to loosen and spin.

Reamers make more perfect holes. One advantage of less perfect holes, either slightly oblong or triangular, is that the set rivet takes on the same imperfect shape and "locks" into the hole making it less likely to loosen and spin.

And one disadvantage to the holes mentioned above is that there is less tolerance during the riveting process.

The rivet has to swell up more to fill all of the imperfect hole.

Drilling is OK. but the reamer is better. If your drill bit is making oblong or triangular holes, throw the bit away...:)

Reamers rock!

I love using a #40 or #30 as appropriate to bring to size pre-punched holes; the holes are nice and round and almost burr free. Far superior to final-sizing with a twist drill, IMHO

I've used #40 drill bits extensively for match drilling, and on the last couple of wing skins I used a #40 chucking reamer instead. The big difference I noticed is that the reamed holes seem to need a lot less deburring.

Edit: Oops... I'm building a 7, not a 14. Can I still post here? I don't know if the holes are the same between the two. :D

I used a #41 reamer

on the holes to be dimpled. If you do some measuring, you will find that the dimpling process opens up the hole somewhat. In this case, imho, the smaller #41 reamer does a better job of ending up with a spec hole after dimpling. And a nicer hole with little to no burr at that.

Then again, Im watching "the big bang theory" as I write...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reamer

One advantage of a reamer is that it won't drill a new hole. Somehow when you try to enlarge 16,000 holes you inadvertently pull the trigger on the drill at least once or twice when you don't intend to. The reamers have saved me from making or starting a new hole a time or two.

Back