What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winter Operations - Ground Operating Characteristics

Av8safe

Well Known Member
Seeking insight on winter ground handling characteristics of the 7 vs 7A. I hope to be able to fly year around in both warm and cold climates and am curious how the 7?s do in the winter/snow season?

Hope to be purchasing & flying by the end of the year.
Av8safe

I have done quite a bit of winter ops with only limited taxi runway operations on snow, beyond the light stuff you have after the plows are gone. No issues other than extended braking distance. Bigger issue is getting enough heat into the cabin. I would be more cautious with strong cross winds, but haven't really experience that with snow pack.

Larry

So I guess nobody operates on snow covered taxiways?

Hi Mitch,

I operate an RV all year around with training wheel on the nose. Winter brings unique challenges. Taxiways often slippery and you have to be very careful while taxiing in the wind. You have to move slow enough not to stop. Taxi on one mag. If you do stop, remember the P-factor is very pronounced and while advancing power you could easily end up off the plowed path. Shut down, get out, turn the plane right way and start again. Wear non slippery boots.

Keep tire pressure lower for winter operations. It will give you better braking action. Watch for ice bridges and chunks of hard water up to two inches if you are fully panted. They may crack the fairings.

If you operate an A-model, set the tension on the fork a bit lower. The grease thickens in low temps and with reduced wheel surface friction the nose wheel may not turn.

Winter is a great season to fly. I rarely use full power on takeoff. Skies are mostly empty. No bugs to clean. Very rare birds. You will like it.

Watch those trailing edge wingtips and tail surfaces on the snow banks, they are considerably lower on tailwheel birds.

Brakes

All very good advise and I have to add one more point to this conversation , No matter which model you're flying be sure and let your brakes cool right off before you push the black knob to depart , especially on an A model since you use your brakes more while taxiing , your bakes will be warm enough to melt any snow you stir up and they will freeze solid enough that you'll have to take your wheel pants off to get them moving again , not a good scenario for your next landing no matter which model you choose !

I winter fly my 7 and my 4 before that. As mentioned the TD's have less clearance under the wings and tail so watch the snow banks and drifts.

I had a situation with snow melt on the runway on a sunny day. Upon landing it filled up my pants with slush which froze while I was in having lunch. When I tried to roll the plane on my preflight I found the wheels locked. The slush had frozen the tires to the pants. Since then I remove the pants for winter. Makes a mess of the bottom of the wing but safer and makes the brakes visible.

No cabin heat issues down to -10C (my on the ground limit) using dual heat muffs connected in series through a single cabin heat box. Just need to run the RPM a little higher as it gets colder out to keep the heat up.

Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated!

Hopeful that I will be acquiring and relocating a 7 in time to test all of your advice this winter...stay tuned.

Mitch

Back