What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sleep apnea recording device

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
I see that apnea testing is a popular topic to discuss. Some will be hesitant to have a formal test, for fear that it will impact their ability to fly. Others have had life changing results from a diagnosis and subsequent use of a continuous pressure device and mask.
An interesting product has been developed and released from Asia. It is a very small, finger worn device with an app for either Apple or Android to go with it.
Pricing looks like about $130 on Amazon.
Dual light frequency LED's rest against the inside of a finger and measure pulse and oxygen saturation. The real work happens in the app, which downloads stored data in the morning from the device via bluetooth.
An impressive array of graphs, charts, and exportable data are collected.
An analysis of apnea events is central to the focus of the device. I have worn one for night evaluation tests and also flown with it in daytime, just to see how it compares with a finger tip pulse/ox device. It is not designed for aviators per se, but I think it will interest them.
It is the smallest product I have seen to date, easy to wear and forget about and a pretty powerful analysis set of tools in the app.
Van's readers can look for it on the web or Amazon. I have no interest other than research and will not be involved in any way with sales of this product. I also take no responsibility for any medical information gathered and or acted upon. Having said all that, have fun and check this out!
(called SleepOn) A search will show a web site like: www.sleepon.us/hst
Probably in Shenzhen, China.
If you learn anything interesting, feel free to post here.

Back