VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Improved Cabin Heat Muff

I presently fly an RV-4 based in Las Vegas, NV and was asked by Dave Edwards to evaluate his new design for a heat muff. This will be the second year that I have flown with his design and have to say that it does outperform my previous heat muff by a considerable margin. Granted it is not that cold in Las Vegas, but I recorded readings at 12,500 over the Sierra Nevada mountains of OAT of 15F while the cockpit temperature was a comfortable 65-70 degrees. The only heat outlet in my plane is on the floor in front of the back seat passenger. The heat from this single outlet was sufficient to heat the front seat as noted.

Removing the muff for Condition inspection involves removal of only two hose clamps around the muff body. For those of you that are looking at your heat needs, this is a simple, yet efficient muff for installation.

This heat muff is available through Aircraft Spruce (item pictured) and others as the Turbo Heat Cabin Heat Muff.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the review. My cabin heat muff is loose and inefficent. This looks like a decent replacement.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:03 PM

I have seen this muff (referenced above and found here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...at05-15249.php )

in the catalog and plan to put on in my 8A. Does anyone have a report of results of this muff in an 8/8A?

Thanks, Mike
KELY/Ely, NV
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasserw View Post
I presently fly an RV-4 based in Las Vegas, NV and was asked by Dave Edwards to evaluate his new design for a heat muff. This will be the second year that I have flown with his design and have to say that it does outperform my previous heat muff by a considerable margin. Granted it is not that cold in Las Vegas, but I recorded readings at 12,500 over the Sierra Nevada mountains of OAT of 15F while the cockpit temperature was a comfortable 65-70 degrees. The only heat outlet in my plane is on the floor in front of the back seat passenger. The heat from this single outlet was sufficient to heat the front seat as noted.

Removing the muff for Condition inspection involves removal of only two hose clamps around the muff body. For those of you that are looking at your heat needs, this is a simple, yet efficient muff for installation.

This heat muff is available through Aircraft Spruce (item pictured) and others as the Turbo Heat Cabin Heat Muff.
Thanks for the PIREP. I need to improve my heat before the cold wx arrives. Wondering if I should add something like this in series to what I already have ore replace. I assume that you replaced based on your note.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 10-03-2018, 07:28 PM

If you have the room series installation well definitely provide more heat ,my Maule has a series setup and has the best heat of any single engine plane I'ave experienced. I hope I can get as nearly as much in my 8 project.
If room under the cowling is lacking try packing some corse stainless steel wool in your existing heat muff . This does 2 things to help , adds more hot surface area and slows down air flow rate which makes the air much warmer .
Raidial RV-8R Ephanage Done, Wings Done, Fuselage underway