What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco Axle Preload

azcloudflyer

I am installing the MATCO nose wheel axle and have a question on bearing preload. The instruction say to tighten until the bearing grease seal is stationary to the axle and does not rotate with the tire. I have gone as far as I can go hand tightening, one of the seals still follows the wheel a little and the wheel is hard to turn on the axle. Should I try to go tighter using tools? Was your nose wheel hard to turn after tightening the axle nut?

Reply - Matco

Mine was not hard to turn. Make sure there isn't any grease on the outside.
If that does not work your bearings are too stiff for some reason.
Give Matco a call if not. He is great to work with and may have some suggestions.

Agree - I adjusted mine to only hand tight, then had to back off slightly. Make sure your bearings are greased properly.

I ended up having Matco talk me through the process on the phone. It was a bit confusing for me.

I spoke to Matco today and then gave it another try which was successful. The seal rides on the wheel just outside of the bearing race. This area should be lubricated for the seal. You don't want to have any grease on the outside face of the seal were the axle or axel nut presses. So tonight I pulled it apart and did this.

1. Grease bearings and outer edge of seal.
2. Apply light coat of grease to area outside of race were seal seats.
3. Insert bearing.
4. Clean off any exterior grease before inserting axle or putting on axel nut.
5. Tighten down unit grease seal does not rotate relative to axle or axle nut.

Tire will not rotate freely due to friction of the seal to the wheel and this is normal.

As a reference, there is a technical note on the Matco web site, under support, trouble shooting which explains this too.

Thank you to those in the forum that responded to my message.

Back