What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronics/Avionics List

Phil

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

This weekend I sat down and started the process of trying to identify all of the wire runs in the airplane.

The goal is to eventually populate the spreadsheet with all of the wire runs, identify length, wire gauge, and ultimately decide how to group each wire run down the right and left side's of the airplane.

In the perfect world, it would be awesome to have a harness built for each subsection.

This spreadsheet is still very green and I have a lot more detail to add. Some of the generic terms such as "AHRS" are placeholders and I'll outline all of the wiring for it in a separate tab.

There are three other tabs too titled Manufacturers, Panel, etc.

After the spreadsheet is completed, I'll start creating schematic diagrams.

I thought I'd share my work and maybe get a few of you started on your efforts too. Possibly I'll joggle a braincell in some places that you might have forgotten about. (AKA: Flap Position Sensors, Pitot heat, etc.)

Likewise, if you see something I have missed. Please let me know and I'll add it to the list. I'll eventually get the panel section completed and also start the FWF planning too.

Updated Link: http://www.eaa12.org/Files/Electronics.xls

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

That is an excellent thing to do for your project. If you need some assistance, Vertical Power has some nice "load planning worksheets" (even an RV-10 example) that have most of the wire runs/wire sizing on it for a typical RV-10. It might not be exactly matching what you need, but it's a very nice start and is downloadable from their website. There is a ton of inforamtion available from Vertical Power as well.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Stein,

Once I get this flushed out, I'm sure we will be talking.

I'm hoping to leverage harnesses in every reasonable situation to save time and eliminate errors.

If you've got any advice for someone in my stage of planning, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil,

This is a good idea. While you are at it create a list of all the switches, fuses, and breakers that you will need by location (panel, overhead console, etc.). You will also need location (from-to) in your spreadsheet.

I made a map of the wire runs using a big sheet of paper with an outline of the aircraft. You can use big squares in lieu of an "anatomically correct" airplane. The wing for example has 2 blocks: one for the wing tip (lights) and one for the center section (pitot, roll servo, etc.). You can then take your spreadsheet and lay out the wire runs on paper listing the termination points in each box.

Phil,

I thnk this is a great start. I would agree with NukeFlyBoy. I'm still in the planning process and am using the Vertical Power worksheet that Stein referenced.

The problem I got into, was assuming that I would run wires and locate connections per the schematic. Makes sense, doesn't it. However, the location of the device has a huge impact. While the schematic may show the connection at point A, the device may me located in another part of the aircraft near point B. I know that I'm probably not explaining this effectively.

I had to spend some considerable time on planning the physical layout (as oppose to the electrical layout). Fortunately, since I'm installing a VP-200, Mark Ausman spent quite a bit of time with me to set me straight. Once he shared with me an updated schematic, it was more like "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment.

bob

This is an absolutely essential process(in my opinion) especially if you have lot's of stuff.

It is tedious, time consuming and a real PITA but when installation day arrives it can turn a difficult task into a relatively benign experience and make what could have been a rats nest into a work of art.

I have seen many a builder get to the point of wiring their plane and it is like they hit a brick wall. Preplanning helps avoid this,

The added benefits are a thorough familiarity with your system that makes troubleshooting a non event and modifications down the road a lot easier. Down the road the presence of your spreadsheets, schematics, wirebook etc. will help sell your plane to a prospective buyer who may be looking at several others.

I've discovered another tedious aspect of this process too. It keeps you awake at night.

I can't tell you how many times (probably 4-5) I woke up last night and had to walk in here to the laptop and add something I forgot. Stall Warning, etc.

It's hard to tell when you're done. :)

I've got a few business items to tend to this morning, but I'll upload the latest version this afternoon.

Phil

Excellent work Phil - sure beats my old method of keeping track of the wiring one system at a time on little scraps of paper and then keeping them all in the same folder (and you probably think I’m joking…)! It wasn’t until later that I went back and built a spreadsheet for my avionics interconnects that is a real lifesaver when doing maintenance/mods or software configurations. I’d say that you have a great start for power – now you need a sheet for data, control, and audio lines. I occasionally get asked by folks to help get their EFIS’s tuned up and working after assembly, and the biggest help I can have is a good record of what serial channels from a particular box are connected to which other serials on another box – essential if you want to avoid hunt-and-peck software configuration. So as you decide on electronics, you might want to add a sheet for that.

Paul

Thanks Paul....

I've been involved in similar engineering efforts to realize the value of having a tight plan. This could get out of hand really quickly.

It sure is easier to disconnect and reconnect wires in a spreadsheet and troubleshoot before hitting the garage. There's no doubt that it'll save hundreds of hours of troubleshooting and probably twice that in engineering on the fly. Ultimately I would end up chasing my tail and trying to decide if I'm engineering, troubleshooting, or installing.

And is that a software problem? A protocol problem? A wiring problem? Ooof!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a rat hole for the entire project. Not to mention it's a lot of cash to have tied up on the ground collecting dust while sorting out a preventable problem. In the meantime, you're watching the next rev of the technology hit the market and you're still busy trying to make the old stuff work. I'd like to hit the air running after I've spent the cash, but maybe I'm a little selfish. :D

As the document progresses, I'll be adding the individual wires that go into each interface. Actually, I'll probably work with Stein on that one because I'd like him to pre-build my panel and harnesses. But they'll be documented in great detail.

Thanks again,
Phil

Back