What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Managing Information...

amaris

Well Known Member
As I've just ordered the fuselage (5 months away) and starting to get deeper into the dark corners of internet research on all the tips, techniques, parts, vendors, etc, I'm feeling a bit of information overload.

Does anyone have any great tips for keeping all this straight? I don't want to print things out. I also want to make sure it's an easy way to work through the info so I don't miss something during the build process.

Thanks!

Well, this is pretty wide open---------

I create a folder on my desktop for the project, then specific sup-folders in there for various sub sections.

Works for me:D

I'm feeling a bit of information overload.

Totally normal, you'll get over it.

You will definitely make mistakes, lots of them, but you'll learn early on how to fix them. Replacement parts are cheap and plentiful.

I kept all my files in Dropbox and also several notebooks including one by the bed so when I'm trying to fall asleep or wake up in the middle of the night and remember something I jot it down.

Where is the "Like" button? I've been on FB too long today! :eek:
Seriously you've asked an excellent question. I started my 7 kit too long ago and now as I'm getting psyched up to get going again, I feel somewhat intimidated by all of the information that is available.

As I've just ordered the fuselage (5 months away) and starting to get deeper into the dark corners of internet research on all the tips, techniques, parts, vendors, etc, I'm feeling a bit of information overload.

Does anyone have any great tips for keeping all this straight? I don't want to print things out. I also want to make sure it's an easy way to work through the info so I don't miss something during the build process.

Thanks!

Yeah. Stop overloading. Simply learn as you go.

Seriously, research the fine points when it is time tackle a particular part of the project. Do it now and you won't remember half of it, plus some of the other half will probably change between now and then.

Oh, and guard against "optionitis", a highly contagious builder disease. The symptoms are an overwhelming need to incorporate every imaginable trick, feature, option, do-dad, and toy, all of which are deemed absolutely essential by somebody. Keep it simple, light, largely stock, and as cheap as possible.

You'll thank me someday ;)

This reply is only if you're desiring a "vanilla" RV; that is per van's plans no modifications

I too struggled with the overload for a while, until I finally realized just how much time it was essentially wasting and just stopped looking. What really worked for me was to solely use vans plans until I had a question or felt stuck, then search that particular issue.
Typically another builder has had the same question before and I could get a suitable answer quickly.

I say just understand the parts in section 5 that are relevant to you at the time during the build. Read it many times if needed. Then I liked to search part numbers of what ever I was working on to read about any gotchas on that section. Other than that, don't try and learn everything at once.

Does anyone have any great tips for keeping all this straight?

I'm building a 10, so level of detail in plans may be different for a 7. One of the best pieces of information was found through a Google search for "RV10 Gotchas". Found a few postings from various builders (on this forum as well as build log sites) that had bullet point listings of lessons learned from errors or questions in plans. Took these lists and went through fuse plans and marked every step with an ansteric that needed caution. Also wrote in description of the needed change. Then, when coming to that step in the plan, already knew what to look out for and had it clearly marked so I wouldn't forget which steps needed a modification before doing them. There were only 3-4 on fuse kit, but man, those 3-4 did save me time!

I say just understand the parts in section 5 that are relevant to you at the time during the build. Read it many times if needed. Then I liked to search part numbers of what ever I was working on to read about any gotchas on that section. Other than that, don't try and learn everything at once.

Section 5 is an encyclopedia for a first time builder. Read it several times, and don?t forget about it. I wish I had put in my calendar to go back through Section 5 periodically - several times I researched an item when all I had to do was look in Sec 5 and I?d forgotten.

Info

Yeah. Stop overloading. Simply learn as you go.

Seriously, research the fine points when it is time tackle a particular part of the project. Do it now and you won't remember half of it, plus some of the other half will probably change between now and then.

Oh, and guard against "optionitis", a highly contagious builder disease. The symptoms are an overwhelming need to incorporate every imaginable trick, feature, option, do-dad, and toy, all of which are deemed absolutely essential by somebody. Keep it simple, light, largely stock, and as cheap as possible.

You'll thank me someday ;)

+1. There are a number of great builder websites for 7/7A's (don't know how they find the time and energy to do it, but glad they do!). I bookmarked a few of them and checked them out when I had questions or wanted an idea. Look around and you will find the best ones. FWIW.

Al

Tips

+1 on pretty much everything.
1. Relax an have fun.
2. Search VAF for the relevant part number before starting a component. If there's issues, you'll find them. Read the "Gotchas" thread.
3. Find a Mentor or a couple good builder web sites.
4. If you find a good tip, save it as a pdf file so the photos are retained.

Back