VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 AM

I was reading the SDS CDI installation manual.

Be sure to remove any parts which are not positively held in place once the mags are removed. If these come loose inside the engine, severe damage or complete engine failure could result! If you’re installing a single coil pack, remove the right magneto and any gears or bearings which rely on the magneto to hold them in place

&

When replacing both mags, you need to again remove any gears, drive couplings or bearings which are normally held in place by the mag. Lycomings may be fitted with various different mag drives and parts so you need to understand what to remove.

I have a O-360-A1A (180HP). Besides removing magneto and gear/coupler (attached to Mag), installing cover, what else do I need to do? Can anyone explain.

Accessory drive has crank shaft gear, cam gear, two idlers. These drive two mags, one prop gov and vacuum pump. Oil pump is direct drive off of crank. I assume the accessory drive gears don't rely on the magnetos to be present for the Lycoming engine's. Just checking... the instructions scared me...

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 11-15-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 AM

Nothing extra to remove on 4 cyl Lycs. On 6 cylinder Lycs, we have a diagram showing which parts need to be removed but they all come out through the mag holes.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 426.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm