VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Logan -

The tach signal should continue to function as long as power is going to the brain box. You can do your "mag check" using that function on the box or killing power to the coil pack with the CB. If you are killing the whole system power, I think that's your issue.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 11-01-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 PM

So I'm installing my SDS. Found a temporary place for the control box on the lower right sub panel, test fitted the crank sensor bracket, drilled the baffle for the sensor cable, fabbed a shield to deflect a broken alt belt, etc. I've had a 500hr inspection on the right mag which will be retained.

Today I removed the left mag. The spacer is still tightly attached to the case. Before I go to the trouble of removing the spacer and replacing the studs, would there be an issue if I simply left the spacer attached, and bolted the cover plate to the spacer? The would save me the trouble of installing shorter studs.

BTW, what's the torque value for the case bolts? I'm mounting the coil to the top of the engine, and the front bolts loosened to mount the Hall sensor will need re-torquing.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 PM

No issue with leaving the spacer except a few ounces, less space and aditional leak potential. BTW, there is no requirement to replace the studs with shorter versions - bolts work just fine for cover plates. Getting the old gasket off is fun, as is removing the studs, but thats a one shot deal.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Methinks this thread deserves "sticky" status, lots of good info that should be easy to find.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
BTW, what's the torque value for the case bolts? I'm mounting the coil to the top of the engine, and the front bolts loosened to mount the Hall sensor will need re-torquing.
1/4" perimeter bolts: 96 to 108 inlbs
3/8" case studs: 25 ftlbs
7/16" case studs: 35 ftlbs
1/2" case studs: 50 ftlbs
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 AM

If you are pulling the left (impulse) mag and leaving the non impulse mag, you should take measures to prevent that mag from accidentally being turned ON while cranking as it will cause a kickback.
You probably knew this already
Tim Andres
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
If you are pulling the left (impulse) mag and leaving the non impulse mag, you should take measures to prevent that mag from accidentally being turned ON while cranking as it will cause a kickback.
You probably knew this already
Tim Andres
I have individual locking toggles. Right now, the only countermeasures I have are: checklist procedures; panel labeling; and pilot knowledge (which is the weak link.) I know that there is a design out there that interlocks the ignition toggles, I need to find it.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Here you go:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=36272
Post 5 has the links to Bob Nuckolls article and drawings
Tim Andres
Old 11-26-2017, 08:04 AM

The SDS CPI has a weatherpack-type 4 pin connector that joins the coil to a wiring harness to the cockpit controller and power. I want to hard mount the harness side to the rear baffle - is there a mounting accessory for these types of connectors? If I need to fab something, any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 AM

I didnít do this with my install but I wish I had. I think these Deutsch DT connectors are really nice. They have a flange Mount version that could be mounted to the baffle. Iím using these for wing root connectors. They arenít cheap but they are good quality.

https://www.prowireusa.com/c-3-deuts...aspx?pagenum=3