What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One more RV-10 flies.

Ron B.

Well Known Member
C-GPES is no longer a project. I lifted off on it's maiden flight today. Other than an oil cooler line leak all went well. Very smooth , hands off flying. Took thinks slow, performed two stalls one clean and one full flaps. Stall speeds were as published. Very pleased with our first day. We also installed our Skyview filters before flight ( just got them last night) and they cleared up all the noise (for those with Skyviews). One of my build partners has the photo's, I'll try to twist his arm and get them posted here.
Thanks to all on this forum for the last 2 1/2 years and I guess before that as I read your post history, for all the help. If I had to give up the Van's plans or this forum during the build I don't know which it would be. I might be exaggerating just a bit but the forum is a great help.
Thanks to all for this great day.
Ron

Gravity defying feat

Congratulations on the first flight! I still have a ways to go but this is good encouragement. Enjoy!

Great news Ron. You guys must be thrilled. Congratulations.

I was done in Yarmouth for the weekend two weeks ago, but didn't have time to come down your way.

Thanks guy's, Kevin I knew you were down but didn't get a chance to go see your RV-8. Heard reports of a lot of flying up your Dad's way that weekend.
Sean we love your third latch, well worth it.
We are having to stiffen the oil door as it pops open in flight. I made the mistake of using the blueish foam Van's supplies with the kit. I now realize it's a filler faom and not structural and the glass just pulled the foam apart when the inside pressure pushes up. The door buckels and then slips by the catches. Not a biggy.
Ron

Where's the picture?

Congratulations Ron!
Now we want to see proof, RV Grin and all.
Enjoy the flying.

My build partners say they have a life, today they had hockey . Maybe tomorrow. I think we were all very pleased, and impressed with the RV-10's stability, smoothness , power , etc. But I don't recall seeing the RV grin. Maybe we are use to the good life and it takes more for us to grin. Maybe I flew the first flight and did not see the grin? Even if it did not occure we are still happy. Two of us have SuperCub replicas on amphibious floats , another has a Zenair 701 on floats and the last partner only has a 172 ( I hope he reads this post). We already had slow flight taken care of , now we should have cross country flight capabilities.

Ron was having some difficulties posting pictures and asked if I would post some for him.

Ron, et al.

Great looking RV-10!

bob

RV-10%20June%2010%202010%20(10).jpg

RV-10%20June%2010%202010%20(15).jpg

RV-10%20June%2010%202010%20(17).jpg

Thanks guys, Robin as you know we used your design as a base, thanks again.
Now if we could only get some weather to get back in the skies. Last year was probably the worst here for fog and rain. This spring was the best I can remember. We have had great weather right up to test flight day. We had to cut the first day flights due to fog, the next day was a flying day but we had an oil cooler line seeping. The oil fill door would pop open. I had used the blue foam (supplied from Van's) as a core and of coarse it's not structural foam. The glass over the core delaminated and the door would bow outwards and open. We now have removed the core and stiffened with alum. Much better than duct tape, I hope.
Ron

who makes the console?

Congratulations on a fine airplane. If I may ask, who made the console surrounding the throttle quadrant?

Congratulations on a fine airplane. If I may ask, who made the console surrounding the throttle quadrant?

Like Brian mentioned, the quadrant console is from Aerosport Products. I've got one in my RV-10 too, but am not flying yet.

I'll put a plug in for Geoff. Assuming weather isn't an impact, Geoff will have his RV-10 at OSH and will be camping at the RV-10 HQ. He'll have samples of many of his products with him.

Regardless, if you're a RV-10 builder, be sure to stop by the RV-10 HQ and introduce yourself after the airshow. You'll find us on 53rd and 54th south of Linbergh.

bob

Thanks for the comments, we've got a total of 12.9 hrs . I put 1.5 today. All is just fine other than the case vent spewing oil. We tried to raise the vent line up toward the top cowl to see if that would help. We also had to raise the vent alum. tubing. If anything it's worse. We let the oil level go down to 7 quarts and that helps but would rather run with at least eight. Maybe the bottom of the vent tubing is too high causing a vaccum or something. Oil is actually dripping off the exhaust once we land.
Our quadrant is Aerosport as suggested above, love it.
Ron

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Hey, Ron! Glad to find out that you're flying. Pictures look great. We'd love to come down sometime ... or let me know if you're coming out my way. Are you going to the Stanley Fly-In? I've updated my KitLog website. Received the fuselage kit in April. Lots of work ahead of me, but very excited and not stressed out at all. Take care.

Thanks Nic
We have 23.8 hrs on the meter so we will soon be looking to get our restrictions lifted. Then I'm sure we will be heading your way. We have not much choise as the ocean covers the other direction.
I think I have a wedding in Fredericton the same weekend as Stanley. The other guys might be going?
Ron

Back