What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Compartment Bulkhead - Structural?

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Gaining access to the battery and rear fuselage requires removing way too many screws -- has anyone modified their -10 to provide easier access for inspection and maintenance --- and does that panel provide any structural benefit?

Last edited:
My bulkhead has a small access panel in it

about 8" x 10". Gives me access to the battery by taking out about eight screws rather than 40+.

It's been there for about 200 flight hours with no known ill effects.

Baggage Compartment Bulkhead

Yes - the baggage compartment bulkhead is structural. There has been a lot written about this in the various forums. My opinoin is that you don't mess with it. The corrugations are there for strength and the bulkhead adds stiffness to to prevent twisting moments between the spar and tail feathers.

Of course this has not stopped folks from modifying it in all sorts of ways, often without regard to its function (or ignorance of it). My personal opinion is that any modification to it makes the aircraft potentially un-airworthy and would be grounds to reject it outright on a purchase inspection.

With a power screwdriver it only takes a couple minutes to remove the screws. Grin and bear it is my suggestion.

Back