What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Prop

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
For those of you with MT three blade props:

Has anyone used the MTV9B prop?

My engine made about 290 HP on the dyno, and I noticed the MAX HP for the MTV12B prop that Vans sells is 300 HP.

Not sure i want to be within 4% of the rated max...

I put a call out to MT and the suggested the MTV9B as it's max is 421 HP, giving a more substantial margin...

What say y'all?

MTV-9-B/198-52

My engine dynoed at 288HP and MT Germany recommended this propeller. 15 years and a 1000+ hours later, still on the front of the engine.

David Howe
HRII S/N 002

Misunderstood reply

You may have misunderstood my reply - I have the MTV-9 as listed in the title.

David

thanks for the clarification...

Yeah, I need to read the question I posted!

How do you like that prop and what model did you use. Curious to see what the recommended for blades...

Here ya go

MTV-9-B/198-52 Is what is used on the 540 and 550 equipped F1 aircraft. 198cm dia with #52 blades, if I read the specs correctly. I recall a ~350hp rating on this prop - I could be wrong (it could be higher).

I have a set of 150hr blades I could sell if you want to pick up a hub...

Carry on!
Mark

Engineers always have a design margin. You can bet that the prop design margin is at least 10% or so. I would not be concerned about your engine and the Van's prop, but if you want to know for sure ask MT what their margin is.

Margin

Yes, there is always a design margin. That margin is the Engineer's margin, and pushing in to it may not be a really good idea...

Back