What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Question

Wolf

Well Known Member
I picked up the RV-14A empennage and wing kits this week. It's time to get back in the building mode. I have the same decision as the last two RV's I built. Primer choice. Has anyone used the Stits Epoxy Primer EP-420/EP-430? I haven't seen any mention of it in the threads. It seems like a good choice for cost, corrosion inhibiting and chemical resistance. Any comments are appreciated. :)

I tried the white and discarded it due to clumping. I might have had a bad batch. I switched to Randoph dark green and have been very pleased. It really sticks to alum. , even if you put a 90 deg. bent in the piece after painting. Never had it peal off.

Sprayed a fair amount of it early on. It think it's kinda soft compared to something like PPG DPLF, but I have no data. That said, I'm generally a paint system guy. If I were topcoating with Aerothane, I'd spray the PolyFiber primer. Not likely to spray either on an RV.

One huge advantage to auto paint systems is the ability to stop by a store and pick up what you want, when you want, without shipping delays or hazard fees.

Back