What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Special Bucking Bar

Jeff R

Well Known Member
I have been looking for a source for the "special" bucking bar. I see that Avery lists them, but has also listed them as out of stock for the last few weeks.

I have looked at some of the other standard a/c tool suppliers, but nothing seems to be available either. Where are you guys getting yours? Or, does one of you have one you no longer need and wish to sell?

I guess I also need the special 120 degree dimple die, but I can locate those. (Or again, I would be happy to buy used.)

As a note, I am just getting started on the RV-14, working on the empennage first. This kit is quite a bit different than the previous RV-9 I built. All for the better!

Thanks!
Jeff

Congrats Jeff on the start of your new build! I stopped by a few years ago when you were still building your -9. Keep us posted with your progress!

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, Fl

I wonder if it is the same special bar as the 10 requires-----------if so, you may be able to borrow one from someone who has built a 10.

Lots of 10s out there, should be a bar around somewhere---------assuming it is the same of course.

I just measured the RV-10 bar I bought and compared it to the drawing on 9-17 and they're almost exactly the same. The bar I have seems to fit just right inside of E-907, so it sure seems like it will work just fine.

I built the 10 tail and had a machine shop make one for me.
I paid 25.00 for it I will sell it for 10.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Dave

I bought the bar at Avery and it worked perfectly on my elevator rear spar. Came wrapped in a very interesting wrapper like new gun parts are wrapped in. If the inventory shows none available I'd call them anyway - the inventory is sometimes inaccurate.

I just made one of these bars. I went to my metal shop and picked up a piece of 12" by 3/4" by 2" bar. He was going to give it to me but I made a $10 donation to their coffee pot. It took be about 15 minutes, or less, with a right angle grinder to get the required shape. I put it up to the end of the rear spar to see how it looked and changed the end slightly so that the rivets would hit the bar squarely. I highly recommend the two inch bar as it gives enough clearance for the clecoes on either side but has enough weight to be solid and also the width to help it keep square to the spar.

69pdza.jpg

The key to the whole operation is to keep the elevator from moving around. I used a piece of 1" by 6" pine and laid it on top of the forward skin, resting against the ribs. This board was wide enough to then screw it down to the table. This does not need to be too tight to the table just enough to keep the elevator from moving forward away from the edge of the table when using the gun. With all riveting jobs, keeping the work secure is the first step in getting good results

bje24i.jpg

I'm not as experienced as most on this board but I have built several "special" bucking bars out of pieces of 3/8" mild steel or just any scrap laying around. I even used a modified 5/8 bolt a time or two. It doesnt work as well as a normal heavy bucking bar but after practicing on scrap pieces, they got the job done. Need a grinder to shape them just right.

Jeff, I tried to send a PM don't know if it worked or not. How fast do you want the bar sent, ground or 2 day?
Dave

Back