What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jig to support tail cone?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Has anyone formed a jig to support the tail cone and perhaps permit some assembly of the HS/VS to it? I scanned the docs and didn't see one for this?..?

I've finished the VS/rudder, and almost done with the HS (100 hours so far). Elevator next! My riveting is the hardest part, and unfortunately the easiest to critique. The oops factor is diminishing thank goodness - hopefully I will rely less on the painter in the future!!!! Structure is awesome though so I think I'm on track?.

Other than the "wow" factor, there is no reason to do that early - it's not a long or difficult job. Best done with the aircraft on its wheels so you can get everything level and square.

So you think that all the assembly section should be left for later? Does that mean to leave the skins off too or does that not matter? If it's just as easy later I'll build the tailcone section on the bench top but I wonder if leaving the skins for later makes anything easier?

I made a dolly for the tail cone of my -10, using the bulkheads as templates for each station. Cut them slightly loose and covered the edges with foam tape. Each station held in position by 2 stringers, plus a castor at each corner. Made it very easy to move the cone around by myself, fit the empennage, and store the cone while I worked on other stuff.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back