What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 vs RV-7 pictures

GeraldC

A little while back my wife and I visited Van's to go on one of their very expensive "free" demo rides in the RV-14. When I got home I noticed that we happened to take almost the exact same picture in both the RV-7 and the RV-14. These two pictures give a pretty good perspective of the difference in size between the two planes. Look at the rollbar over my wife's head in each picture for a sense of perspective.

The other thing that is less commented on, but very noticeable in these pictures, is how far down the canopy extends on the side of the fuselage on each plane. Notice how the fuselage on the RV-7 is near shoulder height, while the RV-14 is closer to elbow height. Being shorter, my wife really noticed this difference more than the headroom when the canopies were closed on each plane.

2014-02-20+09.31.43_small.jpg

2014-02-20+09.39.52_small.jpg

Excellent comparison. I went to Sun n Fun last week and was hoping to see both side by side- but the RV7 was not at the booth. I did fly the 14 demo and loved it. I decided to go with the 14.

I can't tell from the pics but did Vans "fix" the problem with the corners on the tip-up for the 14? I'm not sure I've seen a single tip-up with both corners unbroken. Thanks!

I can't tell from the pics but did Vans "fix" the problem with the corners on the tip-up for the 14? I'm not sure I've seen a single tip-up with both corners unbroken. Thanks!

I guess you must be talking about the bottom aft corners? If so, they are not broken or damaged on my airplane....
but yes, the canopy is very different on the RV-14. It assembles from all pre-punch aluminum parts and is a lot stiffer torsionally.

Mine has been flying for over 21 years and no damage to the corners. I've seen many without damage. Maybe you live in a bad neighborhood.

I will look at the video as suggested. Thanks for the tip. :)

I'm not an expert on the "problem" but I haven't seen a single tip-up in my travels or purchase search that didn't have at least one corner snapped off and repaired. I presume the point of the corner is contacting the roll bar, for lack of a better description, and that is causing the corner of the canopy to snap off. Again, I am not an expert on it but I would categorize that as a problem. In fact, it seems that it would be very hard not to do considering that the canopy and frame would only have to move laterally a millimeter or two on closing to have the point of the corner become the first point of contact and to shatter the corner. And from what I can remember, the canopy becomes relatively heavy just before it comes to rest on the roll bar. It must have enough people spooked that some have even added a few layers of fiberglass over the seam to try to beef-up the back of the canopy.

Thanks Gerald! WOW...great video...GREAT PLANE!! And yes, the canopy corner issue seems to have been dealt with. Glad I watched!!

Andy

The ride was good enough for me to decide to buy the wing kit! I loved it. Fast, powerful and AMPLE!!! It's an RV7 on steroids. Certainly perfect for me.

Back