What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last 2 rivets by trailing edge on Rudder

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I am having trouble trying to set the last two rivets by the trailing edge on the rudder. I have a yoke that doesn't require a flat set at the top, but still can't get it in there enough to squeeze the rivet. I know you are supposed to lift the trailing edge a little, but the rib doesn't open up any to get that squeezer in there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jac4rs.jpg
2zfjzvq.jpg

2a7wvhx.jpg

You can always use a pop rivet.

But... What I have done though is put your rudder down on your backrivet plate. Then take a piece of metal, something like a flat screw driver, and put it on the shop head of the rivet. Then hit the screw driver with a hammer. I have a punch that I ground down for the application. Just don't hit the rudder with the hammer. :)

You can always use a pop rivet.

But... What I have done though is put your rudder down on your backrivet plate. Then take a piece of metal, something like a flat screw driver, and put it on the shop head of the rivet. Then hit the screw driver with a hammer. I have a punch that I ground down for the application. Just don't hit the rudder with the hammer. :)

I do this same kind of thing except I use a heavy masonry chisel on its side and hit it with an old beat up mushroom rivet set in the rivet gun. Easy cheesy.

You could use one of THESE, or as already mentioned, use the blind rivet specified in the plans

The plans do not specify a blind rivet.

Also I tried the indirect back rivet technique. I must suck but I tried using a crow bar and could not get the rivet to set well. Also the bar moved around on the rivet so much it really was disconcerning. Do yourself a favor, drill to a #33 and use a MK-319-BS.

The plans do not specify a blind rivet.

Also I tried the indirect back rivet technique. I must suck but I tried using a crow bar and could not get the rivet to set well. Also the bar moved around on the rivet so much it really was disconcerning. Do yourself a favor, drill to a #33 and use a MK-319-BS.

I read and re-read the plans and you are right, it does not call for a blind rivet. I hate to put a blind rivet there, but may have to. Thanks.

My mistake...
I was pretty sure that the rudder had the same detail as is depicted on the elevator dwg 09-23 for hole prep. and use of MK-319 rivets.
This can be used on the R-903 rib also and a note has been made to add it to future rudder plans revisions.

Rivet at end of the rudder

Thank you, that makes sense. I will be out in Oregon in a couple of weeks, April 25th, hope to meet you then. I appreciate all of your input, as well as the rest of the builders. I'm going with the MK-319-BS.

Back