VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Default Tail lights

Iím getting closer to closing up the vertical stab on my -8. Is there anything I would want to consider to put in before I close it? Wire for future tail strobes or beacon?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:12 AM

I attached my rudder bottom with #6 screws and Platenuts.

On the leading edge og the rudder bottom I drilled a hole for a plastic snap bushing and then made a keyhole out of it. That way I can remove the rudder bottom without cutting ant wires.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Default Vert Stab

OK thanks but no reason to have anything going up to the top of the Vert stab? I would hate to close it up then hear that I should've made provisions for a strobe or internal antenna or something. .
Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Default Rudder lights.

The only light that is on the tail, if you want a light goes on the aft end of the lower Rudder cover. If you get the cap that has the mounting place for a light that is. White light or white light and strobe together in the same light fixture. The wires are run through a grommet at the bottom of the rear bulkhead of the tail. You can do all this after you have finished if you mount the cap with screws and nut plates. If you are thinking of keeping your aircraft for a long time you may wish to mount all your fiberglass covers with screws and nut plates so they will be serviceable as time goes along. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Snap bushings

I put some snap bushings in the tooling holes. I then ran some fishing line through them as wire leads. My fear is that by the time I want to use them, the line will be too old and fail. But yes, some folks put a strobe in the top of the vertical stabilizer (common in early RV builds) or cameras or even VOR antennas. It's your choice as to whether you think you may add something up there later.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway

Last edited by arffguy : 10-14-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added cameras
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM

A bunch of years ago when I built the vertical stab on my -8, I ran a string through it with a little slack in it and a washer at the end of the string at the top, just in case I wanted to do something up top later. Mine is a super slow build and the project is still not finished, but I am anticipating only adding the tail light/strobe at the bottom of the rudder. The string I can cut later before adding the tips..